Glow Plug Harness R&R

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to change the harness? I've read multiple ways and haven't been able to remove the existing harness as of yet. I'm working on the driver's side and have removed the wheelwell and tire for access. I understand there is a little $100 tool from ford or $30 from fleabay you can use to remove them. The tool is nothing but a little u shaped flat piece of metal that you slip onto the harness plug. I have made one of those little tools and still cannot get anything to slip onto the boots to pull them off. Someone had suggested n another thread to put a piece of wire around the plug to pull it out. I cannot get a piece of wire around the boot as it is too tight to even do that. Honestly, the boot doesnt even look like the new boots on the harness that I've bought.

Anyone have any ideas? Dealer wants $225 labor to R&R the harness. Harness was $110 for both sides.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will not work either as the part you need to pull on is only about 1/4 inch tall at best.

View attachment 12839

Notice the small grove where the Boot sticks out of the head. The tool is a small flat piece of metal that has a U-shaped und that slides onto the boot at the groove and then the tool bends 90 degrees up to a end piece that is curled so you can put your finger into it and lift the boot out of the head. Everything above that slot is nothing but plastic wire jacket with a small wire in it that run to the connect that slips onto the glow plug.

I got another mechanic coming tomorrow to my shop and will R&R for $100 or less.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a new harness right? Just rip it out of there! LOL

Thats exactly what the new mechanic said after he broke the wire trying to pull it out. The boot did not come out so he decided to try with a screwdrive and a hammer on the end of it. Of couse the harness boot broke off flush with the block. He fished for a while and said he needed to go get some more tools from his shop. He left the tools there to ensure me he would be back. That was Friday afternoon and still no show.

I bougt some Craftsman picks and would up fishing the rest of the harness boot out myself while using a shop vac to apply suction to the hole. I then put the new harness in on the driver's side and will wait on the passenger side for a while. Maybe if I try it to a warm engine they may just pop out.

I had an idea before I put the new harness in....

View attachment 12842View attachment 12843

I tied a loop of copper wire around the boot about 2 - 3 times them wound it a small amount to secure it around the boot then formed a finger loop on the outside so I can simple pull them out if need be. It was easier to do this now than when they are in the block.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
The first thing the diesel tech that is fixing my truck asked me to add to my parts buy list was a glow plug harness for both sides. He told me that he occasionally breaks the connectors even when using the proper tools to remove them.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they have never beenreplaced, they are brittle. BTW, the mechanic that came to my house to R&R my harness then left his tools to go get more tools has never come back nor has he called about the tools he left. A pair of channel lock pliers, and a 3 pair set of MAC tools various long needle nose pliers plus some picks. While your mechanis has the cab off, I would replace them. I paid $110 for both sides harness. I have yet to R&R the passenger side. I plan on getting some more time to remove the PS wheelwell to be able to get at it a little bit easier.

I would get the mechanic to wire the cooper loops around the harness just in case you need to remove them for some reason yourself.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg