Glow plug life expectancy??

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be hearing the extra load on the starter. Is this while cranking or the first few seconds of running? Sometimes I'll hear what sounds like a "whoop" when if first fires off when it's really cold... like 1-2 degrees, but that's just the sound of the turbo coming up to speed with some heavy exhaust pressure.

bigmike33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Northern BC Canada. When its cold outside,say freezing or below that my truck starts rough as well. My friends with 05 diesels says there does the same. I plug the truck in every nite and it starts excellent.Cheers. I have 124000 kms on mine

lindenengineerin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
GLOW PLUGS

Hello I am new to this forum but not to Ford 7.3's in my shop in Golden Colorado. We have seen lots of 'em over the years.

Now we are seeing the 03/04's with this 6.0 litre beast coming our way with all sorts of problems now that they are falling out of dealer coverage.

Our recent "entry" into the shop is an 04 Excursion that needed some injectors/fuel filters (of course) and a glow plug controller. Now comes the question. Has anyone got a techique for removing the right side glows?

One of my mech's is about to take a 12 guage to the truck!

Normally I would say lift the cab a bit on an F series but with a "boat body" of an Excursion that may be a bit too drastic! Suggestions appreciated but no shot guns shells please!
Best regards and hello to all.

lindenengineerin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
GLOW PLUGS

Hello I am new to this forum but not to Ford 7.3's in my shop in Golden Colorado. We have seen lots of 'em over the years.

Now we are seeing the 03/04's with this 6.0 litre beast coming our way with all sorts of problems now that they are falling out of dealer coverage.

Our recent "entry" into the shop is an 04 Excursion that needed some injectors/fuel filters (of course) and a glow plug controller. Now comes the question. Has anyone got a techique for removing the right side glows?

One of my mech's is about to take a 12 guage to the truck!

Normally I would say lift the cab a bit on an F series but with a "boat body" of an Excursion that may be a bit too drastic! Suggestions appreciated but no shot guns shells please!
Best regards and hello to all.
Dennis
Linden Engineering Inc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14