Glow plug R/R

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the glow plugs and UVC harnesses on a buddy's '97 PSD tomorrow and am wondering if the procedure is as straightforward as I think or if there's anything I should keep an eye out for. I figure on using plenty of PB-Blaster on the threads and being REEEEEEEEALLY careful not to break a tip off in the cylinder but since I'm not really familiar with OBS engines, I figure asking would be sensible. I do have Beru-stamped plugs and new harnesses from the IH dealer so at least I'm not trying to cheap out on parts.

TIA,
JV

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Nope pretty straight forward. Worst part it getting the pass. side valve cover off. You can remove part of the heater box for clearance.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope pretty straight forward. Worst part it getting the pass. side valve cover off. You can remove part of the heater box for clearance.

Do you need any special tools to get access to the valve cover bolts i.e. one of of flex-sockets w/the socket and universal all-in-one? Have you tried using a piece of heater hose to get the plug itself in/out after loosening it with a ratchet? I read somewhere that's a good idea but given that I've never had to swap glow plugs before, I'm trying to be cautious.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need any special tools to get access to the valve cover bolts i.e. one of of flex-sockets w/the socket and universal all-in-one? Have you tried using a piece of heater hose to get the plug itself in/out after loosening it with a ratchet? I read somewhere that's a good idea but given that I've never had to swap glow plugs before, I'm trying to be cautious.

That is the only way to get them out unless you are planning on removing the rockers.

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
IIRC I used a 1/4" drive deep socket(10mm?)and short extension(3"). The best way I found was to completely engage the socket to break the GP loose, then slide the socket up to the end of the GP hex to give you enough wiggle room to get the GP and socket past the rockers. If you leave the socket completely down over the GP, the top of the socket will get wedged under the rocker arm. So the extension will not be "in line" with the plain of the GP center line. I didn't have an universal swivel, so that's how I made do. Hope this makes sense.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Rampy gets new glowers eh? The tubing is a good idea to facilitate removal once you get the plug loose. If you click the link in my sig about injector installation I did cover glow plug removal with pics very briefly in the article John.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rampy gets new glowers eh? The tubing is a good idea to facilitate removal once you get the plug loose. If you click the link in my sig about injector installation I did cover glow plug removal with pics very briefly in the article John.

Yep--he got new plugs today. ;) Start-to-finish, the R/R took just a tick under four hours for plugs, UVC harnesses, and a new GPR but there were a lot of interrruptions so if I had to do it again and could work continuously, I could probably have the whole thing done in 3 hrs. or so. I ended up using a piece of 7/16" hose since that fit best over the hex-shaped area of the plug and that trick worked VERY well. Fortunately, the plug ends hadn't mushroomed very much and they all came out easily so my major fear re: this job never panned out and so he should be good for another 10 years now.:D

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, the truck was a bear starting the other day (the 1st road trip to Casper) and not only was I late to work I about lost my mind after calling round & the cheapest quote was $500 plus parts -mad -mad -mad Not to mention they quoted $260 to change the GPR :eek: :eek: :bs

Asked JV if he'd be willing to do a little side job for some spending $$$ & he was willing so today when I got home from Casper (wanted to eat at the chinese buffet, but it was packed, so went to Old Chicago & was rather disappointed they don't have the lunch buffet or warm cookie with your bill) I had a truck that will start :D :D :D

Forecast is for 15 tonight, will see how she does in the AM :thumbs :thumbs unless I get called in as I'm on call tonight :oops: :oops:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58