Glow Plug recommendations and issues...

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been having these on going cold starting issues with my truck. I tried fixing the harness connector for my glow plugs that is at the valve covers and that had not seem to work. Originally I was only getting the codes for the driver side of the motor. After doing that clip fix, nothing changed and I never persued it further cause it was spring at that point and my Excursion is a weekend vehicle. So now I am looking to change the glow plugs on both sides of the motor and possibly the glow plug circuit module. Not the solenoid looking thing, but the more expensive aluminum brick with about 30 wires coming out of the two harnesses that plug into it. So as of right now, here are the codes I am getting: P0672,P0674,P0675,P0676,P0677,P0678, basically glow plug failure codes last number notes what cylinder.

What brand glow plugs do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance guys!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Buy only Ford or Beru Glow plugs. Beru makes Ford's glow plugs. All the others are junk and could break inside the motor when removed.

Dave

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, you wouldn't have a part number off hand would you? Motorcraft is Ford correct? Part Number ZD11 {#F4TZ12A342BA}

Last edited:

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again! I found a good price at Rockauto.com $9.81 a plug. Christmas present.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Passenger side valve cover can be a PITA to get off. Oil filler tube screws out of VC which helps. The bottom rear VC bolts are easier to get out if you go thru the front right wheel well using a 1/4" drive ratchet and a 10mm(?) socket.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that input! I've had the valve covers off partially enough to get those clips in. It gets tight near the firewall. It looks like my truck is gonna need quite a bit of work in the next few months... not only this but a trans.

Last edited:

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I am working on my glow plug situation and I can't figure out what the brown relay is for that is in the left side of the image. It looks like there is a power wire coming off one of the posts that is black with an orange stripe that seems to be going to my GPCM (glow plug control module). Any ideas?
photo.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl