Glow plug relay voltage

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago i replaced my burnt valve cover harness, gasket and all the GP's. I can smell the harness burning again! I wonder if my relay is producing too much voltage to the plugs? what is the volt range of output for the relay?

all my plugs are good and new motorcraft. any ideas on how to end this reocurring expence and time consuming repair?

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
ok, so on the relay....
there are four terminal posts pertruding from the top. two are small and two are large. from the looks of the wire routing the two small posts and small wires are hot from the battery and the two large and going from the relay to the GP's. using a voltmeter while the GP's are on i get 11.6volt to all the post but one of the large posts. then then 7 to 10 sec later i hear a click and get 11.6 volts to the dead post and it leaves the other posts. never does the voltage exceed 12volts.

Before key-on and after the GP's time out, i can read no voltage on any posts.

Also, is the relay supose to get hot? i can see where the paint on the top has blistered and it is hot to the touch upon activation.

any input on this would really help.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The two smaller wires are your control circuit, the PCM tells them when to energize and they pick up the coil which lets the big posts pass current. You should have voltage on one of the large terminals all the time.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago i replaced my burnt valve cover harness, gasket and all the GP's. I can smell the harness burning again! I wonder if my relay is producing too much voltage to the plugs? what is the volt range of output for the relay?

all my plugs are good and new motorcraft. any ideas on how to end this reocurring expence and time consuming repair?
Is it possibly the wrong relay?Its supposed to be a GPR109 OR a GPR 110..Is it possible you have a starter relay instead?....

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
A friend of mine had this happen and it turned out he had the incorrect relay, got the correct one from ford and problem solved. IIRC his glow plugs were staying on and getting hot.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
I supose it is quiet possable that it is the wrong relay... i'll see if there are any part numbers on the unit and post my results. sure hope this is the fix!

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
arrowstrap, I dont know where you live, but do you really needs the glow plugs on, always?, if not, put a switch to eliminate the voltaje when not needed, and if you needed it (cold wheater), turn on the switch, in that way the glow plugs and the harnesses dont receive current and lasts more.
Maybe it hepls.
:D

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
ok, there are two sets of numbers on the relay, hopefully someone can match them up with a part!

0825M

numbers are located on the housing. one set at numbers on each bolt bolt hole so i had to remove the bolts to view the entire number.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
ok, there are two sets of numbers on the relay, hopefully someone can match them up with a part!

0825M

numbers are located on the housing. one set at numbers on each bolt bolt hole so i had to remove the bolts to view the entire number.
Heres the PN's# you should have for a GPR on our trucks. The one in bold is THE one to have, get it if you can.

Glow Plug Relay
(Allied Electronics) 576-1078 (Stancor Heavy Duty 586-902)
(AutoZone) MR99
(Ford) F7TZ-12B533-CA (94-96 with pigtail)
(Ford) F81Z-12B533-AC (96-early 2000 w/o pigtail)
(International) 1807230C2
(International) 1826634C94
(Napa) GPR-109

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14