Glow plug replacement

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any good rule of thumb for when to replace glow plugs, other than when they start to fail? I understand that the more they are used, the sooner they will need replaced. My truck has just short of 140,000 miles, and I was thinking maybe that would be a good project for the summer. Glow plugs, UVC harnesses while I'm in there, and new valve cover gaskets. Where is a good place to get these parts? Thanks.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Glow plugs

Go your local International dealer for all those parts, cheaper than Ford and they are the same quality too. As for the time limit for glow plugs, they'll last 5k - 250k just depends on the integrity of the circiut and the condition of the other components in the system. If you don't have syptoms of bad glow plugs just ohm them out to see if they meet the specs. I'm almost certain it's around 9 ohms.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Go your local International dealer for all those parts, cheaper than Ford and they are the same quality too. As for the time limit for glow plugs, they'll last 5k - 250k just depends on the integrity of the circiut and the condition of the other components in the system. If you don't have syptoms of bad glow plugs just ohm them out to see if they meet the specs. I'm almost certain it's around 9 ohms.

I think it's more like 2 ohms..

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Once the weather gets nice, maybe I'll be able to catch up on some of this truck maint. that needs done.

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Once the weather gets nice, maybe I'll be able to catch up on some of this truck maint. that needs done.
check around for the glow plugs, some auto zones and nappas may have the same motor craft glow plugs for like 2-8 dollars that the dealer carries, i found mine at AZ for 1.99 ea, i bought 16 at the time, all they had, 1.99 beats 24.99 at the dealer- ( same exact part, packaging and everything):sweet

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
check around for the glow plugs, some auto zones and nappas may have the same motor craft glow plugs for like 2-8 dollars that the dealer carries, i found mine at AZ for 1.99 ea, i bought 16 at the time, all they had, 1.99 beats 24.99 at the dealer- ( same exact part, packaging and everything):sweet

that's not the regular price on those glow-plugs

AZ was closing them out, IIRC and had them marked down to broom them

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14