Help Needed Glow plug sensor module

marko

Hornet
Reaction score
I'm having an extremely hard time starting my truck in cold weather somtimes it wont until it warms up. I purchased glow plugs and a sensor module. I can't find where the module is located. Could someone advise me on this? Oh this is a 2000 F250 superduty 4x4.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'm having an extremely hard time starting my truck in cold weather somtimes it wont until it warms up. I purchased glow plugs and a sensor module. I can't find where the module is located. Could someone advise me on this? Oh this is a 2000 F250 superduty 4x4.

I'm guessing that by "sensor module", you must be refering to the glow plug relay or GPR.

The GPR is located along the side of the right valve cover.

I've been driving, fixing & modifiing this truck for almost 11 years. I haven't yet heard of anything called a "sensor module" that is related to the glow plug system.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
me either, and I've just been through the glow plug system on mine - AGAIN

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Gpcm

I think he's talking about the glow plug control module which I guess is used on California trucks only, I have never seen one and have been in alot of Powerstroke engine compartments in New England. I did find this quote online and will try to verify it's legitimacy tomorrow.... :dizzy

“California vechicles operate identically to the 49-state systems. Instead of a 4-pole relay controlled by the PCM, the glow plug system contains an actual module. This module is in the same location but has more wires.”

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think he's talking about the glow plug control module which I guess is used on California trucks only,

“California vechicles operate identically to the 49-state systems. Instead of a 4-pole relay controlled by the PCM, the glow plug system contains an actual module. This module is in the same location but has more wires.”

that figures...

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Verified (GPCM)

So it turns out that I found an old TSB off of another forum and it looks very legitimate to me. Here it is.

TSB
03-21-36 ENGINE - 7.3L DIESEL - GLOW PLUG CONTROL MODULE - VEHICLES WITH CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS - SERVICE TIP

Publication Date: October 7, 2003

FORD: 2000 ECONOLINE, EXCURSION, SUPER DUTY F SERIES

Article 99-25-10 is being republished in its entirety as part of a consolidated 7.3L diagnostic aid booklet.

ISSUE:
California emissions vehicles built after 10/24/1999 have a new Glow Plug Monitor system which incorporates a solid state Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM). This system replaces the relay and shunt assembly previously used.

ACTION:
Refer to the following Diagnostic Procedure for new GPCM system pinpoint test.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

The GPCM supplies power to the glow plugs through solid state drivers and performs diagnostics internally to detect and report system failures. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) still controls glow plug on-time through a control circuit between the two modules. On-time is a function of engine oil temperature, barometric pressure, and battery voltage. This is the same as the previous system.

There are two circuits connecting the PCM and the GPCM. PCM Pin 101 is still used as the control circuit which activates the GPCM to enable glow plugs. PCM Pin 8 is used as the serial communication circuit which is used for the GPCM to report failures to the PCM. The PCM monitors these circuits for failures. The GPCM internally performs diagnostics for individual glow plug/glow plug circuit failures. When a failure is detected, the GPCM will transmit that failure to the PCM over the communication circuit. If a fault is detected, it will be stored in PCM continuous memory. New fault codes have been added and descriptions are as follows:

P0670 - Glow plug (GP) control circuit malfunction

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
the glow plug control module which I guess is used on California trucks only,

That figures. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Leave it to California to screw up some thing as simple as a glow plug system.

They got special California bulbs for the tail lights too? :stir:rolleyes:

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Lol

Yea I know right! Tail Gunner I think your on to something, the next thing you know is they'll have specific oil/fuel/coolant/gear oil/ etc........:eek: :hail
Must be tough to mod your truck living in a bubble. No offense to California residents. :sorry

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Most of us who live here in California know it. We live in a screwed up state!!! No offense taken.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58