Glow Plug Trouble 0 degree weather!!

dMerre89

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I put all brand new glow plugs because they were the original ones (183k) and a new relay on it too. When I turn the key on, I used a test light on the relay power to the gplugs and theyre not even gettin power, but the 2 smaller wires on the relay are getting hot. Any ideas? It sucks gettin it started in the mornings

dMerre89

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yeh, its getting power from the battery, but I turn on the key and the other side of the relay doesnt get hot.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
small wires... unhook them from solenoid, turn key on.. one should be power, one should be a ground for approx 1 minute...

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
yeh, its getting power from the battery, but I turn on the key and the other side of the relay doesnt get hot.

Power going to the small terminals with the key on............

No juice to the switched side of the large terminal indicates another bad relay. Turn the key on and jump across the large terminals with a heavy gauge wire for 15-20 seconds.........then start the truck. If it fires off you know the relay is the problem.

Tbar

dMerre89

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
small wires... unhook them from solenoid, turn key on.. one should be power, one should be a ground for approx 1 minute...

If one of them is supposed to be a ground, then that would be my problem because both of the small terminals are hot when the key is on.

scoutman77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the computer should kick one, I think the wire to the front to a ground, that is what should trip the relay. mine was doing the same thing, I ended up just running a switch, but also installed a stancor contactor, no problems except when 15 below. then the starter wouldn't even engage.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hell.. if mine started that "bad" in cold weather, I'd jump for flippin joy..

my glow plug relay failed in MAY... and the dam thing would cough and belch up a cloud of white smoke for five minutes before it would catch and run...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14