glow plugs and the winter

Jim up north

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know it is a bit early for this type of question? But! My last diesel truck was a model not equipped with glow plugs. So I was wondering how well do these trucks start up during Cold ! temperatures? Let's say -15 c (5 F) will it start if I do not have a place to plug it in? Or am I in for troubles this winter concerning cold start -ups. For where I am we can get cold at times an also extremely damp and cold !!!!!!!!. Also the cetane booster that ford sells for the trucks fuel system is it just to help the engine burns it's fuel more efficiently?, and a question for the northern guys , what and if you use anything during the winter months in your fuel?:thanks
Jim

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-26 C and not plugged in mine started, with an antigel additive

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had one time last winter when mine started lil slow .. but with 5 min of idle it was smooth... and it sat for 2 days in 0 degee weather, wasnt plugged in either..but it was good all winter

rynarnell

03 6.0 8.0lift on 38"s
Reaction score
im from alaska where it gets pretty cold. I plug mine in, but i will start either way. I had mine crank a little slow once. But a battery heater fixed that. Plug yours in if you are able, to help engine life. I also run a anti gell so the filters dont clog.

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have access to a block heater, use it, the HPOP doesn't like cold oil and is very hard on the unit.

dpantazis

Reaction score
oi8228oi said:
i know if you dont have a block heater you can find them out there (dont know of anys sponser that have the setups)

Why answer the question if you don't KNOW? Why tell someone to go out and spend money when they don't HAVE to.

ALL SuperDuty's diesel engines have block heaters on the blocks. Until model year 2005, they ALL came with cords. 7.3's and 6.0's.

The cord may be tucked up under the bumper, behind the grill, or under sheet metal and tough to find. Start by tracing the cord at the heater element. It's near the oil filter, above the starter. Trace it down the frame rails to the front. You will find it neatly bundled up.

After 2005, Ford made the power cord an 'option'. If you don't have a cord, got to the dealer and get one. Or give the folks at powerstrokeshop.com a call.

You can look at this page for intstall tips- http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-05-20.php

As far as winter starting, full synthetic oil will help trememdously. I run 5W40 Rotella. Usual vehicle tips are more important in winter: healty batteries, anti-gel, etc..

There are many trucks up North- Alaska, Saskatchewan, Alberta are some of the member states that come to mind.

dennis

Shraderman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alabama for the Weather, Canada for the $Money$
I've never had any problem getting her started either. However, I did experience what they call "surge" last winter when it was well below zero. It's basically due to the lack of oil flow to the HPOP when the oil is cold. However, I just changed over to the Mobil 1 Diesel Truck and SUV oil which flows at -45C. Most of the synthetics flow at colder temps than Dino oils. That should cure the problem and it got me about 2 mpg better fuel economy as well. Yes, it's expensive, but at $3/gal, it won't take long to make that up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14