Glow Plugs for 1999 F-350

seedguy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:wave Getting cold and the 99 Powerstroke is taking several cycles to start. I think it is time for new set of glow plugs.

Are the Motorcraft ZD-11 plugs the best replacements?

How much of a job is the replacement of the glow plugs? Any DIY articles on tips for this job?

We have not changed glow plugs since Dad's 1989 7.3L F-250 over 10 years ago.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me I would go with ford motorcraft parts because they tend to last longer but they do cost a little more as for replacement it is the same as the old school 7.3's exept with more parts hidding them making them harder to get at

Reaction score
Allyn,

Go with the Motorcrafts. I just did mine about a month ago, and it would not have been too bad a job, if I had had this information before hand:

Glow plug removal:
This is a straight-forward service. After removing the valve covers and unplugging the glow plug(s), loosen the glow plug a couple of turns (10mm deep socket, 1/4" drive). Then push a 4-6" piece of vacuum line over the end of he glow plug and use the hose to unscrew and remove it. Use the hose to install and screw in the glow plug, then tighten with the socket. The socket will contact the rocker arms if used to remove the glow plug.

That alone, would have saved me about 2 hours.:doh:

We did take some pictures for a DIY article, but I don't believe Bill has had a chance to complete them and post them in the WIKI, yet. You might PM him for what he does have: CHPMustang

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'd like to recommend putting the clips on for the UVC connectors as long as you're under there anyhow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64