Glowplug troubleshooting help?!

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
I've read many of the posts on people having trouble with glow plugs, glow plug relays, and even HPOP's. I replaced the glow plugs on my truck less than a year ago. I used the Genuine Ford glow plugs. They seemed to help with starting some last winter. Here lately if it is 45* or colder, I have to cycle the glow plugs 2-3 times for about 25 seconds each just to get her to crank. If it is about 55* or warmer, it will start as soon as the "wait to start" light goes off the first cycle. The batteries on the truck are putting out plenty of power. I thinking that I may have to replace the GPR. Does anyone have the part number for the cheaper GPR's? I've seen the GPR 109 for napa, but I'm looking for one from autozone, advanced, or O'reilly's. Also, I have a buddy that is a truck driver for a living. He told me that he will put about 2 gallons of gasoline in with every 50 gallons of diesel when he drives routes up north in the winter. He said that it helps with cold starting. Does anyone do that on there Powerstroke? (Mine is a 2000 F-250 7.3L 4X4 with automatic tranny and about 154,000 miles). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Drew

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
to test the relay, put a test light on the switched (normally cold) post and have someone turn the key on. it should click and close the circuit letting juice flow to the plugs. if the light doesnt light up when they key is on (for the short period of glow time) its the relay (or possibly wires controlling it...) just be sure you have power to the hot side of the relay.

also, if the relay is good....check the under valve cover harnesses (UVCH's) they often burn out. the valve cover gaskets could be damaged as well, check the terminals on them and check for continuity through them.

i know you said the batts are good, but how good are they really? i started and ran my truck for almost a year on wasted batteries, i had to break down and change them when winter came because they didnt have the voltage to get the plugs hot enough, or the amperage to crank it over fast enough in the cold. i would recommend having them load tested (or digitally load tested) and be sure the terminals and cable ends are clean.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He told me that he will put about 2 gallons of gasoline in with every 50 gallons of diesel when he drives routes up north in the winter. He said that it helps with cold starting. Does anyone do that on there Powerstroke?

I have also heard of this, but never tried it myself.

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Zookie,
I just replaced one battery about two weeks ago with the 1000 cranking amp Interstate battey. The other battery came with the truck, but was manufactured on 10/2006. I will probably go down and have each battery load tested anyway. It seems to be cranking over fast enough to start. I will try to test the relay. What is the other relay up on the engine? I think the GPR is the one closest to the firewall.
Another question I have: I noticed that when I turn the key on (and it is very quite in the truck) I hear something running for about 20-30 seconds. Also, today I could hear something else run for about 20 seconds. The radio, A/C, and heater were all turned off. The second thing I heard I believe was the fuel pump. What was the first thing I heard?

Drew

to test the relay, put a test light on the switched (normally cold) post and have someone turn the key on. it should click and close the circuit letting juice flow to the plugs. if the light doesnt light up when they key is on (for the short period of glow time) its the relay (or possibly wires controlling it...) just be sure you have power to the hot side of the relay.

also, if the relay is good....check the under valve cover harnesses (UVCH's) they often burn out. the valve cover gaskets could be damaged as well, check the terminals on them and check for continuity through them.

i know you said the batts are good, but how good are they really? i started and ran my truck for almost a year on wasted batteries, i had to break down and change them when winter came because they didnt have the voltage to get the plugs hot enough, or the amperage to crank it over fast enough in the cold. i would recommend having them load tested (or digitally load tested) and be sure the terminals and cable ends are clean.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
never replace just one battery. id would return that battery and replace both with motercraft or gold-tops, and then get back to us. these trucks are hell on batteries.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What you have is ONE battery in two places. If you goes bad, the other will be right behind.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never replace just one battery. id would return that battery and replace both with motercraft or gold-tops, and then get back to us. these trucks are hell on batteries.

What you have is ONE battery in two places. If you goes bad, the other will be right behind.

Dave

;tu X3.

Batteries are right in there with Tires, Oil, Filters & Wax;)... But What Ever Brand you buy.. Always replace the batteries in Pairs. And Always be sure there is At Least the minimum required CCAs for the Year, Make and Model... preferably more CCAs. These PSDs (PCM & ALTs) are almost Anal about Good, Clean, Strong Volts & Amps.

Yul get yer ROI in the long (or short) run .... as to price payed.

Joe

aggitator

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
X2 on batterys,starter could be weak also. i replaced good batterys before just to find the starter was weak. you are hearing your vacum pump running. never gas your fuel in an engine that has glow plugs in the combustion chamber, can end up with same results as using ether BAD.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
older VW's had a temperature to ratio of gasoline mixture charts in the owners manual. my opinion is: anti gel used properly has worked perfect for too many people in these trucks, if it aint broke...dont fix it! if you must try it, keep the mixture VERY LIGHT on gasoline, maybe 1 gallon for 20 of diesel. gelled fuel is better than pistons with holes!

lpuddlejumper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Big trucks don't use glow plugs!!! If you use gas in the diesel, you run a chance of damage to your engine. With that, i had an 1981 oldsmobile engine, and the salesman told me to put 3 gallons of gas to a 16 gallon tank. Never blew it up, but still had cold starting problems. It's your decision.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14