Going from factory 6CD to6CD, harness question... sirius

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've got the standard 6 disc CD changer in my '06 F250 right now and wanted to hook up a PIE adapter for my IPOD. I ordered the adapter from Crutchfield and without realizing it, I didn't have the factory sirius option on my factory deck that the PIE requires to work. Soooo, I can find the 6 disc CD with sirius for pretty cheap on Ebay, and I know it'll plug into my factory harness, but after I'd plug in the new radio, then plug in the PIE adapter, will it work without the harness between the new radio and the sirius module that is mounted seperately from the deck? I haven't found an auction that has the factory harness between the two, and don't know whether or not this would fly? Any thoughts on this?

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Look in the WIKI. My article on installing the PIE adapter to the CD-6 should be in there. If not, I will send it again. You don't need the Sirius option on the radio itself. The PIE adapter uses the DVD input. If you have a DVD installed from the factory, the PIE adapter will not work. It's a simple 5 minute plug in at the back of the radio. The PIE adapter simulates a DVD player.

I had the Drive and Play controller for the iPod connected to the PIE adapter and then to the radio. The Drive and Play has an auxiliary input, so I could run both Sirius and the ipod by selecting the input on the Drive and Play. Since I gave the iPod to the wife, I gave the Drive and Play to my son. Sirius radio now plays through the PIE adapter.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RRay - I couldnt find the write up in
the wiki....I was gonna post it for 'em

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Look in the WIKI. My article on installing the PIE adapter to the CD-6 should be in there. If not, I will send it again. You don't need the Sirius option on the radio itself. The PIE adapter uses the DVD input. If you have a DVD installed from the factory, the PIE adapter will not work. It's a simple 5 minute plug in at the back of the radio. The PIE adapter simulates a DVD player.

I had the Drive and Play controller for the iPod connected to the PIE adapter and then to the radio. The Drive and Play has an auxiliary input, so I could run both Sirius and the ipod by selecting the input on the Drive and Play. Since I gave the iPod to the wife, I gave the Drive and Play to my son. Sirius radio now plays through the PIE adapter.

That's what I thought, also. But I did install the harness in the plug (it was a perfect fit), wired the supply and ground, hooked up the IPOD, and hit the AUX button, and got NO AUX on the display. The IPOD was charging just fine, but no signal was detected. I read the owner's manual (for the factory deck) and it said the AUX was for the FES/DVD, so I know that was the DVD player connection. I have the P.I.E. FRD04-POD/S Ford CAN Bus to iPod Adapter, is that the same adapter you were refering to?

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
That's what I thought, also. But I did install the harness in the plug (it was a perfect fit), wired the supply and ground, hooked up the IPOD, and hit the AUX button, and got NO AUX on the display. The IPOD was charging just fine, but no signal was detected. I read the owner's manual (for the factory deck) and it said the AUX was for the FES/DVD, so I know that was the DVD player connection. I have the P.I.E. FRD04-POD/S Ford CAN Bus to iPod Adapter, is that the same adapter you were refering to?

The adapter you have is the latest and greatest version of the one that is in my truck. It looks like they have added iPod control. Make sure that power is getting to the P.I.E. adapter. If the adapter isn't powered up, the radio will display NO AUX. Sometimes I get that indication for a second until the radio recognizes the adapter and toggles the logic in the radio on. Also make sure the iPod is ready to play and not charging. It might be a change in the adapter that requires audio to be present for the adapter to trigger the radio logic. You can contact P.I.E. Technical Support for more answers, they are extremely helpful.

If your radio cycles between AUX and AM-FM with the P.I.E. adapter on, the chip in the adapter must be replaced. Since you have a newer radio than my 2005 model, it is possible that P.I.E. has corrected the problem.

Meanwhile, I will resurrect the files from my hard drive and post them on my server, along with sending the files to the mods for inclusion in the WIKI

PM me if you have any other problems.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14