Going to Synthetic

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am replacing engine oil with synthetic and need to know about getting all of old oil out of HPOP. Does it drain out of HPOP entirely during oil change or do I need to do something extra to be sure it is all removed?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
threejacks said:
I am replacing engine oil with synthetic and need to know about getting all of old oil out of HPOP. Does it drain out of HPOP entirely during oil change or do I need to do something extra to be sure it is all removed?

Check out my thread "Poor UOA with Redline 15W40". I'm sorry I did.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no your HPOP doesn't drain when you change your oil. If you drain it you'll need to add an extra quart to what you buy. If you're going to run extended oil changes then yes it's a good idea to siphon off the oil from there and then refill with synthetic.

Depending on how compulsive you are you also want to drain the HPoil rails in the cylinder heads too. In general you're going to have to accept a certian level of dyno oil in your first set of synthetic. Over time and repeated changes you'll drop the % of dyno oil in the system but the heads & the HPOP reservoir hold about 1.5-2 quarts. Be aware that if you drain the HPO rails then you're going to have fun purging the air to get the truck back started again.

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BJS said:
no your HPOP doesn't drain when you change your oil. If you drain it you'll need to add an extra quart to what you buy. If you're going to run extended oil changes then yes it's a good idea to siphon off the oil from there and then refill with synthetic.

Depending on how compulsive you are you also want to drain the HPoil rails in the cylinder heads too. In general you're going to have to accept a certian level of dyno oil in your first set of synthetic. Over time and repeated changes you'll drop the % of dyno oil in the system but the heads & the HPOP reservoir hold about 1.5-2 quarts. Be aware that if you drain the HPO rails then you're going to have fun purging the air to get the truck back started again.

Thanks about the 1.5-2 qts in HPOP; how much do the HP oil rails hold? That is something I don't want to go into.

Reaction score
threejacks said:
Thanks about the 1.5-2 qts in HPOP; how much do the HP oil rails hold? That is something I don't want to go into.

Not much compared to the oil cooler ;) ;) Do the HPOP res because it's easy to do but you still have a lot of oil in the cooler and oil galleys....bottom line don't sweat it or if you must...short fill with synthetic, start the truck, drain and refill with new to give the best chance on non diluted oil. Not worth the effort in my book, but I can't see the reason for synthetic any how ;) :eek:

Rick "COB" Crusty Old Bast@#$ :D :D :D

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the HPOP is only about 1 qt I guessed the rails would be more but didn't even think about the cooler that you're not going to be able to drain either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58