GOLD Coolant vs. GREEN Coolant

jschikore

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I recently had some turbo work done to my 04 / F-350 / 6.0 where the EGR Cooler, Engine Modulator, Crossover Tube and Upper O Rings were replaced. I since have had issues with the engine bucking and RPM's surging at ramdom times. My concern is I think that the Ford dealer that did this service replaced the GOLD Coolant with Green Coolant.

Should I be worried? Could this cause problems with the engine cooling system? What action can I take if the Ford Service Dept. denies adding the green coolant?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What do you drive??? Fill out your signature so we all will know what you drive and other details. I am guessing you have a late 6.0 truck. Green coolant has no business in these trucks. If you are in doubt, drain and flush your radiator and replace it with the GOLD coolant. Better to get Ford to do this for you at no charge, if you can. I don't know how to tell other than by color.

Dave

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Looking for a little guidance... what is the difference between green and gold? Arent they both Ethylene Glycol? They should mix just fine or is there an additive different and reacts negatively when mixed? I always thought the color was just that... a color. We have all kinds of colors of coolant at work, green, blue, gold, and orange (which sucks because it looks like there is rust in there)... :shrug:

We use both Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol (purple Detroit Diesel coolant) and I know these you can’t mix because they gel... we lost 2 engines because of this.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
"Green" is the low silicate ethylene glycol base that requires coolant additive for cavitation prevention. "Gold" came from what Ford calls their extended life coolant, ford premium gold coolant. It's a G-05 rating HOAT base. The G-05 rating can be found in an array of colors other that gold, Chrysler's ELC is HOAT based and is orangey red. The ELCs don't require SCA maintenance like the "green" does.

To the OP....you would know if they put green in by looking in the degass bottle on top of the radiator. If the answer is yes, then you need to go back to the dealer and ask why and if they added the SCA to it! Then ask if they did a full flush with distilled water because the 2 coolants won't mix well together. If they deny it, pop the hood and show them. Personally I would insist on a proper flush and go back gold if you want a OEM stuff in it. The green won't be a problem if the SCA was added, it will just need to be flushed and changed sooner with SCA monitoring during use.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
SLIGHT-HIJACK: ON

What are some of the various brand names for the different sources for gold coolant? Zerez, Prestone ??:dunno :dunno
I doubt Ford is the only source of the stuff.

SLIGHT HI-JACK: OFF

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
SLIGHT-HIJACK: ON

What are some of the various brand names for the different sources for gold coolant? Zerez, Prestone ??:dunno :dunno
I doubt Ford is the only source of the stuff.

SLIGHT HI-JACK: OFF

For an equivalent to the Ford "gold" just look at the rating...G-05...color makes NO difference. Zerex makes a G-05 Zerex G-05, I'm sure there are others, like I said before, Chrysler's ELC is same rating but different color.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
a n d
if it was a ford authorized repair shop......
GOLD it must be
go back and insist on a flush,
flush with distilled water and refill with FORDs gold

they screwed up
abd prestone world coolant also meets the above requirement, zerex is hard t find ,

keep us posted.
:dunno

jschikore

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advice!

After snooping around it sounds like Ford made the mistake of adding the green coolant. I can't guarantee that they flushed the system before making the switch. At this point I feel more comfortable with having Ford replace the Gold coolant since that is what comes from the factory.

Thanks everyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58