Good books

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I am behind the wheel around 70-80 hours a week so even with 800 songs on my iPod they are getting booooring. Here lately I have been downloading a few audio books on my iPod. Seems like one out of three keep my attention with the other two just providing background noise. I thought I would ask if any of you guys can recommend any good books? My sister reads several books a month and has been trying to recommend some good ones but her tastes and mine differ a quite a bit. I figure if one diesel head recommends a good book then another diesel head might like it.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
What do you like?? Mystery, Spy, Thriller, Sci-Fi, True Crime???

[Dr. Evil voice on]Come on throw us a freakin bone, will ya[end Dr. Evil voice]

I have just finished reading some of Vince Flynn's stuff, don't know if it's out on audio though.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Here lately I have been trying Mystery. I like it mixed with a little humor not all mystery. Last summer I listened to the Little Britches series by Ralph Moody and even though they are more for the younger audience I really enjoyed them. Some other old ones I enjoyed were Don Pendleton's Joe Copp series.

dpantazis

Reaction score
crumm- have you tried satellite radio? we all know that truckers prefer Sirius! they DOO have the truckers channel.

i usually go get books on tape/cd at the library. you can get some of the 'classics' there too.

dp

Roland_Jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on your reading level and taste.
Not as a Stranger
Desirée, or just about anything by Herman Woulk

None Dare Call it Treason (don't recall the author )

Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
If you don't read it just leave it on the front seat along with the handcuffs. It makes for a good laff when pulled over by the cops.

Right now I'm reading the Velveteen Rabbit :D

AlaskaRedneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I figure if one diesel head recommends a good book then another diesel head might like it.

Diesel Power?:D

j/k... Why are you on the go so much? Is all that driving on your dime, in your psd?:eek:

-Stouff

Reaction score
Crumm,

I've enjoyed Scott Turow, John Grisham and Tom Clancy. Also, if you don't mind a some classics I find Ernest Hemingway entertaining. He can be a little dark, but entertaining.

Also, Little Britches still goes down as one of the best stories I've ever read. My grandfather had me read it when I was younger, and now I'm passing it on to my kids. Having spent a lot of time in Colorado it was nice to picture that world in it's heyday.:sweet

I enjoy reading when I can, so I'll see what else I can recommend and send your way.:deal

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
dpantazis said:
crumm- have you tried satellite radio?
No Satellite radio in Alaska. The satellite is too far over the horizon :(

AlaskaRedneK said:
Why are you on the go so much? Is all that driving on your dime, in your psd?:eek:
I drive from here to Prudhoe bay two-three times a week in a big truck. My psd only has 60K on it and is currently only getting about 30 miles a week on it driving back and forth to work :sweet

Scarlet_Nape said:
Little Britches still goes down as one of the best stories I've ever read. My grandfather had me read it when I was younger, and now I'm passing it on to my kids.
Did you read the whole series? many people think Father and I were Ranchers is the only book but there are 8 in the series. They are :

Father and I were Ranchers
Man of the Family
Marry Emma and Company
The Home Ranch
The Fields of Home
Shaking the Nickel Bush
The Dry Divide
Horse of a Different Color

All of them are great reading for all ages. Ralph Moody also wrote Come on, Seabiscuit which as you know was made into a movie a few years back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58