Good or Bad Idea with this purchase

Montana

I'm Diesel Stupid
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a 1989 F250 diesel 7.3 with 350,000 miles
Cost 2400.00 dollars. What do you guys think??

Rob

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
For the price, it seems a good deal. Drive it and check it out for power (they have very little, but you can tow if you go slow) and cold starts. The glow plugs are easy to get at and cheap, too.

Dave

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Thatsa lotta trailer for a 7.3 IDI, you'll get to the top of the hill but it's going to take some time.

IMHO that is plenty of money for that truck as well, you can start getting into clean PSD's with less miles for about double that.

Montana

I'm Diesel Stupid
Reaction score
Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. Im Diesel truck stupid right now. This is all new to me. So thanks for the heads up. I didnt know there were different diesel engines out there between models of years. I will stick with PSD.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
94 was the last year of the IDI, it could be had in either a non-turbo model or a turbo model in the 7.3L. That is also the year the PSD was introduced, it was only available in a manual transmission in that year so if you are searching for PSD do it with your eyes open in the 1994 model year. 1995 and up were only PSD's.

Montana

I'm Diesel Stupid
Reaction score
94 was the last year of the IDI, it could be had in either a non-turbo model or a turbo model in the 7.3L. That is also the year the PSD was introduced, it was only available in a manual transmission in that year so if you are searching for PSD do it with your eyes open in the 1994 model year. 1995 and up were only PSD's.

Thanks, thats what Im needing to know...that helps alot:clap:

towcat

mouse hunter
Reaction score
350k is the avg end of the service life on a IDI. But I've seen many go longer than that and a few die sooner. I pull a 15k GN with my '92 on a commute between Kali and TX. I like the simplicity of mechanicals and the truck has no problems keeping up with others. Also, it's not very stock either. I've also completely rebuilt the powertrain shortly after purchase. I know what I have as a result. honestly, the cost of purchase and refit is equivalent to the cost of a OBS psd. The choice is yours.
Footnote...
I see two posts in the IDI section and one is talking a potential IDI owner out of a purchase and the other has got nuthin' to do with IDI's.......I'm going back to the basement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58