Good spot for water temp sending unit (other than pump)

ChrisMartinTX

97 F-250
Reaction score
got a water temp gauge and was wondering if anyone knew a good spot pther than the two on the pump to put the sending unit in. i though i saw something about the super duty guys having some plug in the head or something. no big deal just like keeping wires away from moving parts.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you can put it in the hose feeding the heater.... The port in the head I think there is a port on the driver's head that is in a similar location to where the heater hose leaves the passenger's head and you could put it in there.

Renegade

HillBilly
Reaction score
I need to find a good spot also as my autometer guage has a huge sending unit for it for some odd reason.

I'd really like to find something near the rear of the engine as far away from the tstat as possible.

I'm open to any suggestions also :D

ChrisMartinTX

97 F-250
Reaction score
well i ended up putting mine in the pump... figured this would be the easiest spot to service if i got a leak. i removed the plug on top and had to get an adapter. the sending unit was 1/8 npt and it came with a 1/2 and 3/8s adapters... go figure.

what gauges do you have renegade?

Renegade

HillBilly
Reaction score
Do you mean brand or type?

All are Autometer Z series guages & they are for boost,tranny temp,pyro,oil press & coolant temp - I have room for 1 more on the center pod above the rear view mirror that I never decided on what to put.

I thought maybe a pre & post intercooler boost guage or maybe an oil temp guage.

ChrisMartinTX

97 F-250
Reaction score
thats cool... i was wondering what type just cause you size issue. yea i kinda wouldn't mind an oil temp. what i'd really like is for autometer to make an oil pressure and oil temp 2 gauge console in the 1.5" autogage series. maybe even in one of the 3 gauge ones just need something other than the water temp in it.

how good is your fit with the overhead pod? is it the super duty one? i ordered one but it just didn't fit right in my truck kinda left a gap... prolly could have dremeled some stuff down on it but went ahead and used the pillar.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChrisMartinTX said:
got a water temp gauge and was wondering if anyone knew a good spot pther than the two on the pump to put the sending unit in. i though i saw something about the super duty guys having some plug in the head or something. no big deal just like keeping wires away from moving parts.

If you have a coolant filter (?) you could use one of the un-used in-let ports on the filter head :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58