Question Good start up/bad start up

airboat99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the site. My question is, sometimes when I start my truck whether it is warmed up already or a cold start, once in awile it starts and sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders then dies, it might do this 3 or 4 times in a row then it will start up like it is brand new.:confused: What might be going on? 04 F-350 6.0. Thanks for the replies. Justin

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Dont know much about the 6.0's but sounds like maybe glowplugs? or the relay? I assume it runs ok when it does finally start??

airboat99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok yesterday morning started up mytruck and ran great. About lunch time started it up again and it would not hardly run, shut it back off and never would start again. Changed the fuel filters and it started up, I let it run for about 45 seconds and then shut it back off. Came back a few minutes later and it would not start again. Now this morning it fired right up like it was new and ran fine, let it run for 3-4 hours still runnuing great. What could be happening? Fuel pump acting up or could it be the cam positioning sensor? It has no codes. Help please, thank you. Justin

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 03-04 6.0s had fuel system problems from the factory. Even after the repairs under the recall they are still prone to hard starts and no starts at random times. Glow plugs, as suggested, would only be a factor when the engine is cold. And diesels can start without glow plugs, it's just a lot harder, especially when it's really cold.

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine was acting this way it was the FICM.

airboat99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Still no codes, tested the FICM, it has 48 volts thru ignition on, turn over and start up. Cleaned the EGR, still no start. After a few minutes it started up and is running fine. Also while driving it, it shut off and would not start back up. I give, taking it to the dealer and let them diagnose it. Also sometimes when it is acting up, I get nothing when I depress the accelerator pedal. Thanks for all replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58