Got a couple of noob questions about upgrading 6.0..

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm very new to the diesel scene. I picked up a 2006 F250 with the 6.0, and after 10,000 miles on it, I'm ready to start modding. Question is, where to start. I've been reading the posts on power and performance upgrades, and so far it looks like the SCT tune is the overwhelming choice (well, according to that poll, anyway). I like that it upgrades the tune to the tranny as well as the engine, rather than defueling the engine to save the tranny. But, I was wondering if I should wait on the tune until I get the intake and exhaust squared away. I like the Borla exhaust, not sure how it would sound on the diesel, but I'm up for suggestions to a higher flowing, almost stock sounding exhaust. Also, I'd like to upgrade my air intake system, but I know that diesel engines as well as the turbo are extremely susceptible to damage from interferents and particulates in the air, so what would be the safest route to go? I've heard alot of negative comments about the K&N filter system, so I'm going to stay away from them, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know these are pretty standard questions, so please forgive the noob, but after searching and reading posts for countless hours, I'd like to throw this out there and see what happens.

:thanks

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you put a tuner to it I would recommend intake, exhaust and gauges. (at least an egt gauge) If you put a tuner on it first without the extra intake and exhaust flow chances are egt temps will rise quickly under light acceleration. Bama just put a new Banks air filter system on his 04 it appears to be a good system. As for exhaust, Borla wouldn't be on the top of my list. MBRP seems to be the most popular here. A turbo-back kit is the best rather than a cat-back kit.

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks, patrickc!

Kinda what I was thinking about the which one should come first. But I do have a question about gauges vs. warranty. If I were to throw on an EGT gauge, the dealership I go to would probably notice I've thrown a tune on there, even though I'd return it to stock tune before I brought it in. I've chatted with the diesel tech over there (cool guy, talked for about an hour on diesels) and he mentioned if I do a tune, don't have any gauges cause that'll give 'em an excuse to void the warranty. Now that I have an engine the same price as my first new truck (back in '93), I'm kinda nervous about voiding anything. I know ya gotta pay to play, but is there some sort of loophole you guys here on SDD have found around this?

What's the difference between the turbo-back kit vs. the cat-back kit? I've read some threads about 'axing the kitty', does the turbo-back kit take care of this? Also, what kind of warranty issues would I run into if the cat dissappeared.

Thanks!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
take it step by step, and be patient.

like patrick stated, do the gauges, then the exhaust, the stock air filter system is a pretty good system on its own, but there are some good options on that too, to help draw in some more air.

i just dumped my old K&N gen. 2 system after 2 years of good service, but it was starting to fall apart on me, so i went with banks new system for the 6.0, and also the AFE stage II is supposed to be a good choice as well.

the cold air intake mode or zoodad as it is commonly called, it can be done to the 6.0 as well as the 7.3

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AlaskanSD, A turbo-back kit is from the turbocharger back. It comes with a new downpipe (pipe right at turbo) which is bigger dia than the OE one. Most turbo-back kits retain the stock cat but you can buy cat delete pipes. (test pipes as we call them!) I am not sure how axing the converter will affect warranty.

A cat-back kit is just a muffler and tailpipe generally the same size pipe as stock. Cat-back kits are more for sound and looks rather than increasing exhaust flow.

An EGT gauge is very important to monitor egt temps but if it's going to affect your warranty that's up to you.
Having an egt temp gauge doesn't always mean you have a chip but it does show you care about your truck. Most guys that tow with stock trucks have them.

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
An EGT gauge is very important to monitor egt temps but if it's going to affect your warranty that's up to you.
Having an egt temp gauge doesn't always mean you have a chip but it does show you care about your truck. Most guys that tow with stock trucks have them.

Ah, good point. What kind of EGT gauge are you running?

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
I am right along with ya AS. My sd is a company truck that i can do what i wish to as long as it dont tear up lol. I started with a mild programer and a egt guage. Autometer ultralite. I replaced the stock air filter with a airaid and did the "zoodad". that way i keep the stock intake which flows pretty good. and i just bought a magnaflow turbo back exhaust and its a nice set up. The thing about warranty is they have to prove that your after market part caused the problem. There is acutally a law that protects consumers with this.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 pillar mounted autometer gauges. (egt, trans temp, and boost) If you are seriously condsidering gauges it isn't much more money to go with a 3 gauge pillar package.

A transmission temp guage is also important depending on how serious you want to get with your truck.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isspro gauges are some of the best and without a doubt the most accurate. They match the stock dash like a tee! I have 12 gauges so I am a little well hummm nevermind

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Isspro gauges are some of the best and without a doubt the most accurate. They match the stock dash like a tee! I have 12 gauges so I am a little well hummm nevermind

Twelve gauges??? :eek: Can't say you don't know what's going on in the engine with that many gauges!

I've never heard of Isspro. Who carries it? Summit? I'm more and more inclined to get an EGT gauge, and stick with the factory tranny temp and turbo psi gauges. I'd like to get an EGT gauge that matches the factory gauges, so I'll have to check 'em out.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14