Got an electrical stumper

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
Went to start the X (no the other one) at about 0500 and I know some of you are going to laugh, but it was a freezing 52*. Turned the key and got the rapid flashing of the Anti Theft light on the dash immediately followed with... nothing:dunno . Tried a few more times... nothing. Tried the other keys and it still wouldn't start. I Thought it dropped the code so I looked in the book and what a supprise... no help there. tried again 1/2 hour later, nada. Had it towed to the dealer and just for giggles tried it again and it started!!! Dealer couldn't help because it wasn't doing it and wouldn't show up on the reader. I went the hole week without any problems, but the other morning again another freezing AM, about 50 I'd say and not only did it start the rapid flash, but it also ran. I watched the theft light and it started blinking erratically and then eventually quit, but the motor kept running so I said the heck with it. It's done this dance for the past two mornings, but continues to run. Any Ideas? I plan on taking it skiing in N. Cal. in two weeks and I'd be real sad if it started dying on me to. Help? Thanks,
David

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Speaking from experience we had similar symptoms of a no crank with fully charged batteries,had it towed under warranty to the dealer which they discovered the issue to be the column shifter linkage going to the transmission that was out of adjustment.

You may possibly have an issue with the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) module and/or circuitry since they are known to be finicky from time to time.

Won't hurt to get the charging system/batteries evaluated also:sweet

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
Batteries. When they start to go - wierd and strange stuff starts to happen. Ron

I had some electrical gremlins once-upon-a-time. It turned out to be corrosion between the battery posts and the cables/clamps. The corrosion wasn't really visable to the eye, but was detectable with a volt-meter. A couple of wrenches, a steel wire brush and a bottle of Coke (part of my 500 mile from home emergency tool kit:eek: ) and I was good to go.

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, what Tail_Gunner said...............:tu:

Corroded battery posts can drive ya' up the wall with wierd problems.

Good luck.............keep us posted on what ya' find.:)

JamesF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had similar symptoms - even had a thread about it somewhere around here.

Anyway, a couple new batteries later and everything's fine.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rex-a-FORD said:
Yup, what Tail_Gunner said...............:tu:

Corroded battery posts can drive ya' up the wall with wierd problems.

Good luck.............keep us posted on what ya' find.:)

Yup, what Rex & Gunner said..............:tu:

Corroded battery posts could make the Pope cus.

I had Low GP voltage codes. Thought it was Glow Plug replacement time (95K) Got my tools out and was ready to RIP into things. Cleared & re-set the Codes. Took the cables loose, noticed some scale build-up on the insides of the clamps... cleaned'm up with some Coke and a Battery Post/Clamp cleaning tool. Hooked everything back up, Drove him for a week....

No More Codes.

Looking back on it: I had noticed the lights being DimmER >than usual< when the GPR cycled on Cold Morning start-ups.... But did'nt think much about it. After I cleaned the posts ? I can hardly tell the difference in brightness.... just a little flicker when the GPR cuts off.

Could be an Indicator or Heads-up ?

JOE

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14