Got 'er stuck in a river, couple of questions...

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went caribou hunting in Alaska up the Dalton highway about 50 miles south of Prudhoe Bay. We trailered my brother's Sea Ark Predator (20' riverboat with 200hp Mercury Optimax) and needed to offload the boat in the Sagavanirktok (Sag) river. As I was backing WAY up, completely into the river (it's really shallow, had to go quite a ways in the river to sink the trailer far enough), the tires found little holes, truck sunk a little, and the water came up to the doors. I was able to pull forward fast enough, and we offloaded down stream a little. I parked the truck on the road, and left it for four days while we were hunting. When we came back, truck fired right up, no problems. When we went to load the boat on the trailer, I had it in four low, but the tires dug into the river bed and sunk the truck to the frame rails. The water level submerged the step bars, and it took us about 20 minutes to get her out, but she finally did it after we took the boat off the trailer. Question I have is, once the driveline took an unintentional bath in river water, is there anything I should check or change (I'm thinkin' axle grease for one). She made the trip back down to Fairbanks with no problems, no wierd sounds or vibrations, but I completely killed my stock rims when the river rocks were tumbling around them when the tires were submerged, and the rocks broke the valve stem off the front passenger side tire. At least I got a really nice caribou that I'm having a shoulder mount done on!

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Each differential has a breather tube that comes off the top side and is routed up under the frame. Get under her and find it and see if you think you were submerged far enough to allow water in that tube. If not, you shouldnt have pulled water into the axle's but..... safe is better than sorry so a change of fluid might be cheap insurance.

I'm curious, when you broke the valve stem off did you have to change the tire right there in the river? If so, how did you get the spare out from under the truck?

Oh yeah..... now that you mentioned the 'bou you are going to have to post some pics and details of the hunt please.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
what Mike said.

I would be inclined to tell you to change the driveline fluids anyway, because you can't be sure unless you look in there.

pull the rear rotors off too, and clean out any sludge and goopies left behind in the top hat...

post some pics of that 'bou.

atk

Reaction score
what Mike said.

I would be inclined to tell you to change the driveline fluids anyway, because you can't be sure unless you look in there.

pull the rear rotors off too, and clean out any sludge and goopies left behind in the top hat...

post some pics of that 'bou.

what JL said.......

Reaction score
Just reroute yer breather lines for the future. I put a loop in mine to make it harder for the water to travel. I'm gonna have to pull out my water picture so you'll know you weren't that bad.

froading17.jpg

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would change the fluid to be on the safe side. When you drain it if it is milky then flush it out real good before refilling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58