Got me a new problem

myfirstford

Always a full pull
Reaction score
I am noticing when I am at 1400-2000 rpm cruising along the engine sounds like the throttle is constantly bumping up and down and when I idle it, the turbo whine is extremely noticeable and the waste gate noise is louder when there is very little boost. At lower speeds, the truck will actually jerk a bit when I have this problem. Here's the weird part, this only happens if I don't let it warm up for a minimum of 5 minutes :confused:

Skweeker

Resident Guinea Pig
Reaction score
For what it's worth:

My 2004 was sounding like the engihne speed was increasing and decreasing when the cruise control was set however no driveability problems were noted or felt. I had no out of ordinary noises at idle.

I checked codes and had several EGR codes stored in memory.

I removed my EGR and found the upper part all caked with carbon and the lower part fairly clean but the valve was stuck open slightly. This meant that 4 cylinders were gettting EGR at idle all the time and that the valve could not be opened or closed via the computer.

I cleaned all carbon deposits from the valve, reinstalled the valve and verified its operation on the truck by fully grounding the control wire and watching the pintle position sensor voltage increase indicating the valve was indeed opening.

I also opened the EGR valve by grounding the control wire at idle and the engine noise did indeed get quieter indicating once again that the EGR was operating.

myfirstford

Always a full pull
Reaction score
So it looks like I'm heading to the Dealership Garage for an unscheduled service then.-mad

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
myfirstford said:
So it looks like I'm heading to the Dealership Garage for an unscheduled service then.-mad

Or you could tackle it yourself. The EGR is right on top of the engine, easy to get to. If you're not sure of the best way to clean it, some guys here will give you pointers. And if the EGR wasn't your problem, you're no worse off before heading to the dealer.

myfirstford

Always a full pull
Reaction score
I think this problem is fixed (for now) I brought it to my local BD Performance for a check up on the BD brake (as the Ford tech nuts tampered with it) and it turns out that one of the recalls done was to the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor and after it was installed, it was not calibrated correctly so it would cycle when it was not supposed to e.g., when the brake was applied, it would open and let all the brake pressure (up to 60lbs) through the CAC, so BD reset it and now it functions properly. So I gave it the test and it never did it as well as I watched the EGT on my X Monitor for any changes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14