Got me some new artillery

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Picked up a Ruger M77 MKII all weather stainless steel in 300 winchester magnum the other day. The stated purpose is to replace my Winchester M70 .30-06 that I’ve had since I was 11 (I’ll get tot hat in a minute).

This new rifle is very sweet. I wanted the sport model, which is stainless with a laminate stock, but Ruger stopped making those last year and I couldn’t find one, so I just got the ugly black plastic stock for now until I can get a laminate made up for it. I’ve got a Leupold VXIII in stainless finish on order for it, 3x9x40. I’ll most likely use it for everything, even though the magnum is a little big for deer. I’ve decided that I am done with my .30-06, so the magnum will have to cut it, unless I want to use the .243 for deer from now on. Of course, the magnum is perfect for elk and moose, and certainly can’t hurt for bear (they have big teeth, and as far as I’m concerned, you can’t OVER kill a bear, and I’ve definitely heard some nasty stories about folks that have UNDER killed one).

Now, since I’m sure that many of you are wondering why I’m so finished with my .30-06….

As many of you that are gun nuts know, there are a couple different “models” of Winchester Model 70. There is a pre-64, a post-64, and a post-64 classic. There are also several different models within the post-64 category, each with a few slight differences in design of the bolt, action, etc.

The pre-64 model 70s have reached a sort of deification within gun enthusiast circles. Winchester stopped making that model in 1964, and introduced the post-64 models. The differences in the pre/post models were pretty significant. Pre-64 had a mauser-type action and ejector, post 64 had a closed face bolt setup with a fixed ejector. Anyway, I could go on for a while about differences, but the big thing is that the pre-64’s are seen as being some kind of holy grail of Winchesters. This wasn’t because the pre-64 was particularly great in any one way (they were a VERY nice rifle, but not the holy grail that many people will make them out ot be), but because the early model POST 64s were really TERRIBLE. From 1965 to 1968, they had troubles with misfeeds and bolt binding that caused many people to hate the post 64 so much that they longed for the days of the pre-64 so much that eventually, the pre-64 achieved mythic proportions and abilities and the legend was born.

Anyway, in 1968, Winchester fixed the misfeeding/binding problem by putting an anti-bind groove in the bolt and action to keep the bolt straight. The post 64 M70s from 1968 to present are a great rifle. I think even better than the deified Pre 64, (certainly more accurate, the barrel is a lot better).

The only problem was that my M70 is a 1966 model year. To date, I’ve missed opportunities for follow up shots on three deer, two elk, and one bear as a result of that DIRTY SOB either not feeding another round and going “click” on an empty chamber, or from it binding up half way through the re-cocking and causing me to have to pull it off my shoulder and get it loosened up so that I can finish the cock and get a shot off.

Missed one of the deer outright, wounded the other two, and one of the other guys in my party finished them off. One of the two wounded would have died anyway, but I am of the African hunter persuasion when it comes to killing stuff. Don’t matter how well you THINK you hit it, until it is on the ground, keep shooting it.

Missed one of the elk outright, and it got away when the second trigger pull fell on a blank chamber because the action had misfed. The second elk, I probably killed it with the first shot, but the bolt bound up on the follow up as it ran off, and another hunter blasted it about 50 yards out and dropped it. I went up and found two holes in it, both in the kill zone. If I had had the follow up shot, I would have dropped it easy with the second boom, but the stupid rifle wouldn’t allow it. The other hunter claimed it because he had shot it last and dropped it.

For the longest time, I thought it was just me. Then I traded guns with my Dad last year, he had a Ruger M77 MKII 300 win mag (imagine that…) and I loved it. He had nothing but trouble with my old POS. It misfed on him once, and he kept commenting on how badly it seemed to cycle. Once that happened, I figured out that it wasn’t me, it was the rifle.

Anyway, I’m excited about the new artillery. I plan to go shoot it this weekend with a temporary scope on it, until my VXIII comes in.

Reaction score
:woot Hoss is back!!!

Congrats on the new hardware, Hoss!! I wish I liked huntin' deer as much as I liked eatin' 'em!!;)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
The other hunter claimed it because he had shot it last and dropped it
That's where you stand right over him untill he puts his tag on it. None of this "I'll tag it after I skin and quarter it" bullshirt..

but I wholeheartedly agree with you on the follow-up shot fiasco... best gun/ammo combination is one that doesn't jam...

I traded off my Rem 1100 because it was the best single shot I ever owned... gave you lots of excersize picking up the next round off the ground, too...

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ive got a Ruger M77 MkII in .260 Rem and love it. Real tack driver. Ive dropped stink goats at 300 yds with it, muleys and elk as well. Very versatile rifle.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you know your stuff on guns.
I have a few, but do not use them anymore.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Yep Hoss is back. I got half way through and said "Bla Bla Bla" and skipped on through. We missed you Hoss!!!

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I really like those Rugers as well, I wish they made them in .3XX Ultra Mag. I looked at them real close when I bought my 30-06 but ended up getting a Remington 700. For quick follow up shots I just picked up two M1 Garands, one Springfield mixmaster and a correct H&R. I really love Garands.

30-06 is a great round but a little light for Elk IMHO, I would go with the .338 UM, drop them where they stand. I have not gotten to shoot a .338 but I imagine the recoil is impressive.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I personally know several dozen elk who would disagree.;)

as I.

the '06 is still the benchmark against which all other .30's are compared. Loaded with the right bullet, in the right hands, it can take any game that walks the face of the Earth.

On a more personal note, I love Ruger firearms, owning enough to make a banana republic nervous... :hail

Cartridge-wise... I really don't understand the recent explosion (no pun intended) of belted (and unbelted) mag .30's; I know, standard action, short action, long action... what are we up to now? About five different cartridge families? (.308-based, '06-based, Winchester Mag, WSM and RUM?) -popcorn

buy one today, a gunwriter for another publication company will obsolete it tomorrow... :doh:

Dude, enjoy that M77. I have one with a Mannlicher stock, in 7mm-08 that's nearly always propped by the door from about mid-September to the middle of January...

Last edited:

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WIth all of Hoss's artillery, I feel like a wimp with my little Ithaca Model 66 Supersingle 20 gauge single shot lever action. Worst problem with it is the "youth" stock on it. It's really short and kicks like a mule. I've also got one that I inherited from my dad, that was my grandfather's. It's Stevens 12 gauge double barrel with the hammers on the side, made somewhere around 1906. It hasn't been shot in awhile, but that one kicks like two or three mules. At about 2 or 3 AM in the woods in Louisiana, it used to sound like a cannon when we'd shoot a big raccoon out of a tree.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14