got some questions

1 2 NV

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so ive been searching all over the net looking for info. ive found lots of information. in regards to the 6L is there any advantage of buying a 05-06 6L VS buying a 03-04. most of us have heard the horror stories of the 6L and all the problems associated with them.
however ive also seen many many good things from the 6L owners.
im looking to buy a SD maybe within a year. i dont drive many miles but i plan on using it primarily to tow my boat. im torn between a 02 tried and true 7.3 or if i just buy a newer 6L. the price ranges fall right by each other. there are a million 6L for sale around here and very few 7.3s.
anybody have any thoughts? insight? pros/cons?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The stories of the 6.0l engine being a problem are way overblown. In general it is a good engine. There are a few things one has to know about this engine. You will NEED head studs if you are going to add a lot of power. You will blow head gaskets if you don't. I have not had one problem with me engine that was not covered by warranty. I am a happy camper.

Dave

1 2 NV

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks dave. what i have been reading is first hand experiences though from web forums such as this. thats why i figured id just pose the question for anyone feeling free to answer. thanks again.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
My 2003 6.0L is an early production truck (Feb. 2003) and it has had very few problems. The biggest thing is proper upkeep. As far as choosing a truck, the later trucks will be more refined but they have their problems too. The best way to go is to find a truck and get an Oasis report on it. What's an Oasis report you ask? You give the VIN number of a truck to the service writer at your local Ford dealer and he/she is able to go through the service history of the truck for all repairs made at Ford dealers nationwide. It is a window into the maintenance history of the truck and allows you to identify trucks which could potentially be problematic to the new owner. My experience is that most dealers will do this as a courtesy for you since the hope is you will bring the truck to them if/when the time comes for repairs. Hope this helps.

1 2 NV

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have an option through my credit union that provides and "extra" insurance so to say against mechanical breakdowns. it covers all sorts of things. of course depending on the policy depends on what is covered. if i buy the "gold" option though it covers all the normal problematic areas the 6L has. plus it includes towing expenditures too.
i appreciate the info guys, keep the comments coming.

Jimn8or

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There were issues in the beginning alright. I would suggest that almost all your answers can be had here POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners This guy has a vast, vast wealth of knowledge about these trucks and his differences videos [view online for free] explain the upgrades made to the later 6 liters. Tons and tons of knowledge/help available at this site. The oasis report is North America wide and as mentioned provides an ideal look into how the vehicle was cared for before you. The Service writer will just read off, or print off the service history and you can compare it to the Ford recommended intervals. I still look fwd to driving my SD every time I go to get into it.:sweet
HTH
Jim

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
as said before its all about alittle preventative maintenance and taking care of the truck>>>>ive had minimal problems with mine and have 116k on it but i drive it>>>you hve to drive these trucks like diesels are intended they are designed to pull and be ran especially now days with all the b.s. restrictions i pull a trailer everyday and keep it blown out so i have no problems if you just let it sit or use it as a grocery getter you're probably goin to have more issues

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14