Got stuck today

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
I have a etched locker in my Jeep for the Ford 8.8 axle which was about $600, which is the cheapest selectable locker out there. I am pretty sure they make one for the Dana 60 in the Super Duty's. The locker is a Limited slip when disengaged and becomes a locker when the electric switch is flipped. It is not a pin type locker it is actually a high quality limited slip when disengaged, then when the switch is flipped it engages a magnet which forces balls up a ramp which forces the clutch plates together to lock the axles together. I have not had a chance to use it yet but the pluses are it can engage instantly at any speed you don't have to worry about gear engagement like in the mechanical lockers, and it would be less apt to snap axle due to binding. And I have broke 2 traditional lunch box lockers in my small Jeep Cherokee due to wear.

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Did they use different front and rear axles in the superdutys? I heard they can be stirlings or danas? I would do front and rear air or electric lockers. The electric ones sound cool since they are cheaper.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
I believe in my year there were 2 options for rear axles the Dana 60 and the 70 I believe the 70 was the dual rear wheel axle but I am not sure.

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have two separate systems from dynatrac? I could probably make a bigger compressor work. One of these days I will probably do these up grades. What kind of mpg you gettin since you have big lift and tires?

No, it's only one system and I'm getting 18 to around 22 mpg.

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eaton E-Locker makes a electronic activated locker, they're around $800 dollars. Well worth it in my opinion. Never had one, but rode in a truck that did. Seems like it would be easier to install and maintain (no leaks, no hoses, no compressor)
and they're almost the same price.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got stuck for the first time in my truck. Well I got out no prob just had to go a different route than usual. I'd like to get a limited slip rear. What yall recommend? I dont know what rear end my truck is, havnt thought that far ahead yet haha. Its a 99.5 yr. Also what mods can I do to the front? I've heard of air lockers but is that overkill for somethin that wont see mud hardly? Only thing it will go around in a lot is snow but EVERYTHING gets stuck in snow and ice.

I have an LS in my F150 and I noticed a big difference in the wet weather. Ive had it in deep mud and snow and I have never been stuck. The LS is great When the snow dumps on the roads. I hope to swap one in my 350 out of an fx4 in the future.

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they use different front and rear axles in the superdutys? I heard they can be stirlings or danas? I would do front and rear air or electric lockers. The electric ones sound cool since they are cheaper.

Yes, they are different. Your truck "should" have a Dana 50 front and Sterling 10.5" rear. The 250's switched to a Dana 60 front in later models but I can't remember what year that happened. The 350's have always had a 60 in the front. The 350 rear should be a Dana 70, 450 is a Dana 80, and 550 is a Dana 135.......but don't quote me on that, it's just from memory.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
That etched locker is new on me, but sounds cool. I may have to check them out for my newest off road project. I remember the days of wheelin in a jeep cherokee.... sep mine was a '89.... with front and rear lockers n 2lo in the tcase, that thing would go anywhere..... Just couldn't get a real person in the back seat. Back doors are tiny

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Yes, they are different. Your truck "should" have a Dana 50 front and Sterling 10.5" rear. The 250's switched to a Dana 60 front in later models but I can't remember what year that happened. The 350's have always had a 60 in the front. The 350 rear should be a Dana 70, 450 is a Dana 80, and 550 is a Dana 135.......but don't quote me on that, it's just from memory.

So ALL F250's 99 and up use the sterlings? I assume there are tags on the front and rear ends? Havnt looked yet.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There are tags on the axle housings that will tell you the gear ratio and if you have posi or not. There are a bunch of codes to tell you, so post the codes and we can break them down.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58