got the "wrench" symbol today

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed out the fuel filters today (3rd time since new) and I may not have primed the fuel system correctly.

When I started the truck it ran about 10 seconds then shut off. The wrench symbol was flashing. I tried to restart but the engine wouldn't start. I primed the fuel system a couple of more times and this did the trick. Started up fine and is running normal.

I may not have done the cycle enough times. I think I only did it 4 times. I think it calls for 6? I forget.

Anyone has had this happen? A difficult restart after a fuel filter service?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Mine has always started with a few cycles of the key. I don't think I have ever gone 6 times. Four seems to work with my truck.

Dave

focus1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wrench symbol

Your wrench symbol is probally a low fuel pressure code, when changing 6.4 filters you have to purge the air in the low pressure fuel system. Use a fuel pressure gauge with a bleed valve the shrader is on the fuel cooler left side of the engine cycle the key on engine off with the valve open 6 to 10 times it is a must on all power strokes to purge air or you affect injector life also wash fuel filter caps and your hands its also bad to get a small amount of debris in the new filters. Dont forget to drain the water separater too. and disconnect the battery to clear codes.

focus1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
schrader

Yes there is I use it every day I am a ford tech. sorry cant post pics but let see what I can dig up.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I would like to see that. I will look in my manual later today. Thanks.

Dave
There is a schrader valve for bleeding on the fuel cooler. I haven't had to use mine yet, but found out the hard way you need to cycle key 4-5 times at 30 second intervals or it will run for a few minutes and die. The 6.4 is a little more stubborn than the 6.0 in some ways.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
After looking at the 6.0 liter Service DVD from Ford, I can only find one Schrader valve and it is on the high pressure line going to the injectors. This is not a user serviceable proceedure as the line is under HIGH PRESSURE. I can't see anyone letting air out of this fitting. I could not find a FUEL COOLER on the 6.0 engine. So I guess the 6.4 engine is more complex in the fuel department and smog.

Dave

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Well were in the 6.4 section and the OP has a 6.4. Not really sure how this conversation pertains to the 6.0. :confused:

`08 BlueCrew

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I never had to bleed my 7.3 or 6.0. Am I understanding that when I change the filters in my 6.4 I'm going to need to bleed the fuel system? :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14