Gotta get me some tools

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't overlook some of the German stuff, they are top notch, but then again, not cheap either. I prefer Knipex's channel locks, snap ring pliers, etc. Snap On and MAC sells re-branded Knipex. Cheaper to buy them as Knipex. My (good) screwdrivers are all Klein Tools. Full set of nut drivers. Their side cutters, strippers and pliers are great. I have quite a bit of craftsmen wrenches and sockets, but not sure what I like there. S&K and Wright big stuff. Wright is great too, but pricey as well. Not sure on their wrenches though. I've heard good stuff about Armstrong wrenches, but haven't tried them. Thorsen, Blackhawk, and such have all been bought out, so who knows where the quality's headed....

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I went out looking today at Lowes & Menards, primarily for toolboxes, but also to see what type of handtools the carry.

While at Lowes, I about laughed my ass off when I saw this Kobalt tool box.
View attachment 9925

View attachment 9926

View attachment 9927

Not only does it have a refridgerator, but it has a stereo too!!:roflmao:roflmao
What is a new employer going to think when you pull up on the first day and ask where you can plug your toolbox in so the beer don't get cold???

On a more realistic & sensable note, I'm looking awful hard at something like this:
View attachment 9928
It's got roller bearing drawer slides and they seem like they are nice and tight without a lot of side to side slop. It's also got a nice deep top section and all the drawers have pads in the bottom. Plus it's on sale!!

Last edited:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen the Kobalt box at Lowes as well. I like to call it the yuppie box. :lmao My wife showed it to me one day and the first thing that came to mind was what would be tossed in the wasted fridge space once it craps the bed.

That Kobalt looks like a decent deal. Just want to make sure you aren't going to need a bigger box in year from now. Might be better off buying a bigger one that you can grow into. I went from one a craftsman a little bigger than that Kobalt to the Craftsman I posted above and I still may end having to buy the intermediate box for it! I was going to sell my old boxes but I think I will hold on to them in case I need them in the future.

chris o.

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
but that lowes box is built very well. when i came out it was only 1200! now its 1700. wish it just had a big deep drawer in it instead of the fridge.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I went out looking today at Lowes & Menards, primarily for toolboxes, but also to see what type of handtools the carry.

While at Lowes, I about laughed my ass off when I saw this Kobalt tool box.
View attachment 9925

View attachment 9926

View attachment 9927

Not only does it have a refridgerator, but it has a stereo two!!:roflmao:roflmao
What is a new employer going to think when you pull up on the first day and ask where you can plug your toolbox in so the beer don't get cold???

On a more realistic & sensable note, I'm looking awful hard at something like this:
View attachment 9928
It's got roller bearing drawer slides and they seem like they are nice and tight without a lot of side to side slop. It's also got a nice deep top section and all the drawers have pads in the bottom. Plus it's on sale!!

buy big.
You'll fill it.

see if you can find an old Snap-On "tamale wagon"

should be just about perfect for you.. sucks up against a wall cause you have storage on all sides... but wheeled around a hangar, would be just about right

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
there is some good euro stuff out there. but i don't know how accessible it will be for you. brands like stahlwille, hazet, knipex. all real good but $$$.

the armstrong stuff i have i like. same for martin. like bolt said, klein is good too.

toolbox- if you happen by a Costco, they have had a 41" stainless box, similar to the lowes one, but more utility minded for under a grand.

Fine69

Reaction score
One other thing you may want to consider. If you were an employer interviewing a potential mechanic, what would your first impression be if the potential employee showed you his shiny new Lowes or Costco tools and Toolbox? I know what I'd think... Do yourself a favor, buy Snap-On or Matco, you'll be glad you did.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I have bought mostly Snap-On for the last several years, because he is the only dealer in the area that stays in business, has been for 20+ years, always shows up at my door, covers all my warranty issues, and in all great to work with.
Whether it be Snap-On, Mac, Matco or whatever, just make sure you have a good dealer to take care of you, its worth more than most realize... no way I'm wanting to go to Sears once a week :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14