Great fuel mileage...

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just came back from Grants Pass Oregon, and trip was 187.3 miles and took 8.877 gallons. That is 21.09 mpg. The best mileage before this on the same trip was 19 mpg. I think the increase is due to putting the 5th wheel tail gate on, and maybe it is starting to break in the engine. I have 6,000 miles on it now.
Much better than our 97 explorer. :D

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is getting better. I just got 19.9 on Easter weekend going up to the Napa Valley and back. My best, so it can be done. I drive too fast.

Dave

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave; we had to go to Compton, "another funeral", but took the explorer, because we had three adults, and one dog, with all the "stuff" women have to take on a trip, and it was raining, so we did not take the psd. We should have because the idler pulley bearing froze,,, wiped out the serpentine belt. Good thing we had AAA towing. Exporer was getting 17 mpg at 70 mph. PSD gets 18 plus at the same speed. Grants Pass to Redding is mostly down hill, so probably get around 19 on level road. Diesel in Grants Pass was $2.89. Diesel here is $2.92 Not much difference.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Nice mileage Maxtor, I'm happy if I get 12 (mixed towing/ empty) Of course, I'm a young guy, I always drive too fast :burnit

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Nice mileage Maxtor, I'm happy if I get 12 (mixed towing/ empty) Of course, I'm a young guy, I always drive too fast :burnit

With a Powerstroke? I think you must have something wrong. That is a bit low even for "spirited" driving.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
PLEASE DO EXPLAIN....

I never drive over 2000 rpms.
I never accelerate like a gasser or ricer.
I maintain steady speed.
I have stock size tires @ 60 psi.
I have the best pure highway tread tires IMO...Michelin XPS Rib
I have Redline synthetic ATF in my tranny.
I have Redline synthetic 75W90 in my rear differential.
I have an econo setting on my chip.
I use cruise control.

AND, it's a reg cab 4WD w/ a 4.10 rear...NOT a crew cab dually.

ON EDIT: That 20.2 mpg was on 100% #2...which I no longer use. My current mpgs on bioD & wvo are much less.

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
With a Powerstroke? I think you must have something wrong. That is a bit low even for "spirited" driving.

If you mix "spirited" driving with towing 7,000 to 25,000 lbs regularly, I don't think it's too bad. ;)

I usually shift at 3,000 rpms give or take a couple hundred :eek:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
The E350 has been getting around 10 mpg. I have been towing and puttin the hammer down mostly city. I took a new d max truck off the light even towing a trailer. My fuel mileage won't be too good for the way I drive. Also I have 4.10s.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14