Greetings from a Mile High

rmcginnis77

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Previous owner of the original Super Duty and now proud owner of a 2010 F-350 King Ranch. I look forward to getting a lot of good mod ideas here.

Mac Land

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was hoping for a bit of advice. I am an owner of a 2008 F250 SD Crew 2x4 with a cold weather package. I live in Pasadena CA and I’m taking my wife to a resort in Delores CO, in mid February. Were driving. Besides chains and a long extension cord for the block heater what would you suggest I do to my truck to make it ready for your kind of cold.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your SD should be fine with the chains and the 900 mile extension cord. :D

Other than that, make sure your antifreeze/coolant is at the right concentration and your glow plugs are in good shape. Western Slope weather has been in the single digits (negative and positive) for several weeks and is likely to stay that way for a little longer. I plug in my '05 at night for smooth starts in the morning but the glowplugs have handled the cold really well when I can't plug it in. Of course, our single digit temps are pretty mild compared to the more Northern states.

Enjoy your stay!!!

Last edited:

Mac Land

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If my truck is off for a few days how long should I plug it in for befor starting. Also, what weight oil are you guys using?

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Rotella 15w40 all year and it seems to do fine. Others might change to a colder weather oil weight?

My block heater usually needs at least 3-4 hours on the plug to result in a smooth quiet start. I set a timer to turn it on in the middle of the night.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have mine plugged in for 2 hours in our "cold" climate. It will start without plugging it in, but I like a warm truck.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14