Help Needed Gremlins?

rstevensc1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased my company truck, 02 Regular cab 7.3 auto PSD, had no mods, 125K on the clock. I thought it wqould be a great time to put in a 6 pos chip from one of our vendors, truck went along well for a couple days, on my way in to work this morning overdrive light flashes, cruise control lights in dash flash..(has none) truck stalls, but restarts. I pull into parking lot, check batteries, remove battery cables, remove computer, remove chip. Truck still does flashing lights at idle, clutch for ac keeps clicking on off, fuel relays clicking, truck stalls, restarts with key.. checked connections..Any ideas?
It does not do it for the first 30-60 seconds after truck rests/cools down. light on overdrive button flashes at idle, air conditioning compressor clicks on/off repeatedly with control in off position, truck will shut off, but will restart.

Last edited:

rstevensc1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for the thoughts, no codes were thrown, TS performance chip, all functions seemed to work great. The chip is out and everything replaced back to original. No codes. For the first 30-60 seconds after the truck starts, runs great, then I think the computer takes over and the compressor clicks on and off, relays will click, truck will shut down as the fuel solenoid goes off, the it will restart. Does the same with the chip in, thanks for the reply.:dizzy

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the output of the alt. have the each batt. tested. Sound like a voltage problem. These trucks are picky about voltage strange things will happen.

Last edited:

rstevensc1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, checked the voltage at the batteries, 14.31 running, both batteries fully charged. Have the ecm out now, going to get that tested. Doesn't act up cold, but after warmed up, it goes batty, all solenoids clicking, ac compressor going on and off multiple times, the vendor said the chip must have moved on ecm board? Thank for your input.

rstevensc1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The gremlin is gone

Just got the ECM back from being rebuilt, Cardone Industries, A-1 job, cost 235 dollars and they turned it around in 5 business days, plugged it in and everything works as it should. The chip vendor said send the chip back, they would check it out under warranty. What a coincidence, but have another 2003 with a 6.0 in the fleet at work, and it had a no start condition, weird stuff happening with lights, gauges, stalling, etc. sent the ECM out on that one. What are the odds of this happening? Anyway, happy with mine and look forward to finishing the mods, thanks to all who helped.
:clap:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The odds of this happening again are much lower than you suppose. There maybe a fault in the design that leads to your type of problem, in many trucks. Who knows for sure??

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14