Grill Painting

TimberGhost

Buildin' It Up
Reaction score
Opinions & feedback needed guys! I'm getting ready to paint the grill of my 06' Super Duty, black satin to match the side mirrors, 20" Rockstar wheels and tonneau cover. As it stands now, my truck is dark graphite grey with color coded grill and bumpers (no chrome here). I've researched "other" F-250 forums and have seen the results of others who have used black satin Rustoleum after priming...and it looks sweet. Obviously this would be the more economical route to take vs. letting a body shop prep, prime and paint it for me. My question is...what should I be doing to prep the grill other then debugging and washing it thoroughly? Should I be wiping it down with paint thinner or stripping the clear coat at some point? And if I do and don't like the results...can I somehow get the paint off? Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure wash it thoroughly, use a primer, get a good brand of paint, some times you do get what you pay for.

What Robert said, and I'd scuff it Lightly, and Evenly, with 200 grit sandpaper.. wipe it all down with a damp, lint free rag, then prime it.

FWIW :dunno, I've had Superior results with KRYLON paints & primers, when it comes to Rattle Can painting. They have adjustable nozzles.. Vertical to Horizontal spray patterns ?

I do a light Tack coat.. wait 5 minutes, then 2 Cover coats.. let it dry at least.. overnight.

Joe

For exposure durability (a Grill).. some guyz here have used Spray on Bed Liner.:dunno

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I would use adhesive promoter since its plastic. I had a chrome grille on my 99 and wanted it black. I didnt even scuff it up, just cleaned it really good, sprayed the adhesive promoter and sprayed my black bedliner on it. Looks good and still holding up after almost a yr of use.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use adhesive promoter since its plastic. I had a chrome grille on my 99 and wanted it black. I didnt even scuff it up, just cleaned it really good, sprayed the adhesive promoter and sprayed my black bedliner on it. Looks good and still holding up after almost a yr of use.

There ya go TimberGhost. :sweet

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
both of my sd's grill got the body color treatment
I splurged and used PPG auto paint
a good prep
light primer
and two coats of base coat
followed by 3 of clear
allowed each to dry based on outside temps and humidity

the mirrors i wiped with acetone to remove the rough plastic bumpies somewhat (remove them from the truck, its easier to paint)
then did the same to them

under 75 for the whole thing,

really liked the whole body color treatment to the black plastic and the chrome grill

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
but Pb, you forgot the reflective flame treatment!

you know what
i had completely forgotten about that grill
wonder if i can find an old pic

:D:D

i did find two that had hidden on the laptop, but the grill reflective treatment cant be seen as its daylight:sly

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58