grinding front axle

stroked 350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi guys ,
i just signed up been browsing for a few weeks seems to be an awsome amount of info on this site . now my dilemma i have a 97 f-350 with psd reg cab, auto . when i back up and turn the wheels either way i get a grinding noise .(not axle joints , thay are not moving) any help would be great :thanks chuck:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
stroked 350 said:
hi guys ,
i just signed up been browsing for a few weeks seems to be an awsome amount of info on this site . now my dilemma i have a 97 f-350 with psd reg cab, auto . when i back up and turn the wheels either way i get a grinding noise .(not axle joints , thay are not moving) any help would be great :thanks chuck:

Please explain this a little more. You say its when you're backing up, but then also say axles are not moving. So it must be when you're sitting still ? :dunno

stroked 350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only when i back up sorry i meant the front axles not moving (someone suggested axle u-joints) thanks

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my general answer to any front end grinding noise is to pull pull the front bearings apart and check them and grease them well.

The front brakes are a possibility if there is something abnormal w/ your pads or the backing that would give you a grinding noise when backing but only when turned might indicate that the front wheel bearings are just slightly loose and when you're turning there is enough lateral movement for some scraping to happen.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to jack it up, check for wheel bearing play and brake dragging.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Grinding sounds like wheel bearings to me if the hubs are not in. I would not drive too far before you check them out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58