Growling sound during steering

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently noticed that when I make a right hand turn, especially at low speed, I get kind of a whining/growling sound. I also noticed something leaking from the engine bay on the driver side above where the trailing arm attaches to the axle. Any ideas? My first thought is a faulty pressure hose but that doesn't explain why I only hear the sound turning one direction.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering box is mounted on the drivers side, check if that is leaking

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Whining power steering pumps are notorious on the fords, I have found that a lucas additive made for power steering is the best thing to get rid of the whine,and the jerky steering feel. It sounds as though you may have a leak at the hose or elsewhere, and maybe you've run the pump low on fliud? If so, you may have damaged the pump. Clean the engine bay real good at the carwash, and find the leak, and get it repaired. If the noise persists, use the lucas additive. Good luck

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, similar sound but no leakage....
mine is when I make a right hand turn and accelerate....

I was guessing more from the back than the front....
and seemed more like maybe a rear end, u joint, driveshaft spline ? wheel bearings ?

haven't figured mine out yet....

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
form overhead... look between the brake master cylinder and the coolant reservoir... looking down at the hydraulic lines that come from the power steering pump to the hydraulic brake booster. mine had become loose and began to leak. it was a simple fix for me as i was just able to retighten them.

hope that helps

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck to the dealer and they confirmed it was the power steering hoses leaking. Of course my Ford Extra Care extended warranty didn't cover the lines but the repair costs the same as my deductible so I can live with that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58