Growth in fuel

POWERSTROKEN

"Don't RAM it..STROKE it"
Reaction score
Anyone ever have any troubles with algae or whatever can grow inside your diesel tank? I am having a fuel related issue's. I have heard this can be a problem. I am not sure this is my problem? What can be done to treat this possible problem? Thanks. Jim

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
POWERSTROKEN said:
Anyone ever have any troubles with algae or whatever can grow inside your diesel tank? I am having a fuel related issue's. I have heard this can be a problem. I am not sure this is my problem? What can be done to treat this possible problem? Thanks. Jim

They make an algeacide (and I didn't spell that right) that you can put into your tanks. You can get it at a Marine and boat store. Better buy a filter or two to have on hand when your fuel filter clogs up with dead plants.

Dave :)

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would drop the tank and clean it, all that algacide does is drop dead stuff to the bottom of your tank and your filter. The stuff doubles itself every 20 minutes. Check out www.dieselcraft.com as well. I have one on my boat, because we had fuel issues. It works we took a pre sample and after sample after 3 tank exchanges, and was improved considerably. Be careful it might not be algae. Diesel starts to break down after 28 days and slowly turns to varnish and sludge. After 4 mos it should be polished to "renew it". It will be a pain in the butt until you get it every last drop cleaned. (clogged filters and smoke) I should know we had 45000litres contaminated.

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, talk to John Nightengale at Dieselcraft He will help you out.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
POWERSTROKEN said:
Hello Jim POWERSTROKEN: First off start praying that you don't have this stuff in your tank. I worked for a trucking co in Irving Texas and our main tank had a bad case of algae. We had to change fuel filters ever 1000 miles on our road units at the most. Good luck old buddy. :sorry

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Wow
what timing
one of my two jerry jugs had a little floaters/swimmers/alge looking items in teh bottom.
I had to strain it out .the fuel had been in the jug since the night before Katrina
My other jug is only two week sold so it gets used next.
I have some power service to treat the standing fuel
In my other life we sampled fuel before each flight to ensure no water or microbiological growth had started. even jet fuel will grow.

WD40 said:
Hello Jim POWERSTROKEN: First off start praying that you don't have this stuff in your tank. I worked for a trucking co in Irving Texas and our main tank had a bad case of algae. We had to change fuel filters ever 1000 miles on our road units at the most. Good luck old buddy. :sorry

bedwards

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got kritters in mine and used Bio Kleen from Power Service Products to kill it. Had to drain my hfcm several times and kept a spare filter on the truck just in case. They said 2oz per 29gal tank twice a year will keep the problem away also. Also, was told dropping and steam cleaning the tank without the biocide will not kill em either. Not getting anything out of it now, maybe they're done!

BE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14