Guages

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, ordered my gauges today. EGT, Trans Temp, Boost. So I read about people putting them in different places. I understand that the EGT should be pre turbo. But I am very new to diesel engines. Would someone happen to have pictures of there sensors so I know exactly where to install them. Believe it or not, I am very mechanically inclined. Just want to make sure I am doing it right.
Thanks in advance.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Look at my Pictures and you will see where I put mine. I know they are different engines, but the concept is the same.

Dave :)

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Ok, ordered my gauges today. EGT, Trans Temp, Boost. So I read about people putting them in different places. I understand that the EGT should be pre turbo. But I am very new to diesel engines. Would someone happen to have pictures of there sensors so I know exactly where to install them. Believe it or not, I am very mechanically inclined. Just want to make sure I am doing it right.
Thanks in advance.

I put mine into the driverside exhaust manifold just ahead of the up-pipe connection. I drilled a hole, tapped it with a pipe thread tap and put the EGT probe into it. :sweet

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I put mine into the driverside exhaust manifold just ahead of the up-pipe connection. I drilled a hole, tapped it with a pipe thread tap and put the EGT probe into it. :sweet

easy as falling off a log
use a good sharp set of bits, drill slow and firm with a small bit then stpe up to the right size for the tap
then vacum the manifold out with ashop vac before inserting the probe.
i used grease to catch teh filings and then a vac. but some do it dry.

either way go slow and sure into th ecast iron with a SHARP bit and not wide open on the rpms of the drill. just fast enough to make curls or large chips of hot iron and yes they will burn you, use goggles

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know where to put them inside the trucks cab. I got the "A" pillar setup. I am just unsure where to drill the holes. Luckily I work in a weld shop so I could weld fill if I mess up. But I am trying not to even think about that. Thanks all

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I have a turbo saver so my EGT probe is in right after the turbo on the DP and the terminals came back to the isspro modual. so I saved time and hooked my autometer pyrometer to that and it works fine. its nice to watch what the turbo is going trough. oh and make sure that the isspro is doing its job;)

but if someone wants to convince me on why I should drill my header please do.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
but if someone wants to convince me on why I should drill my header please do.

There is no reason, its personal preference but...... pre and post turbo EGT's can vary by 300° to 400° and what you are measuring to protect is piston/valve components. The closer you are to those parts the more accurate you can be.

So if 1250° is considered the safe pre-turbo temp then you should be pulling out of the throttle around 850° on a post turbo pyro application. But then again, if the variance is only 300° you just pulled out of the throttle too soon.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
wait.... you mean post turbo temps can vary 300 to 400, and thats why its a good idea to meter next to the block because its a more accurate measure?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
wait.... you mean post turbo temps can vary 300 to 400, and thats why its a good idea to meter next to the block because its a more accurate measure?
Yes, there are members that have BOTH locations measured and they state its not uncommon to see a 300°-400° degree difference in the gauges at the same time, with the one in the manifold always being higher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58