Gulf Coast By-pass Oil FIlter

chewie95

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using this product? I ran an Amsoil dual by-pass on my '01 and am looking for something different.

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First hi.welcome to the site.

Second since nobody on "the other side" would answer you(which i cant believe).i guess i will not really answer your question but oh well.

i run a DIY bypass filter with the Amsoil filter and i dont care what you use but why are you looking for something different?

im not sure what you are trying to do. if you tell me a little of what you are wanting i will try to help you.

like i said im not really going to answer your question.

maybe no one will burn me for what i said.

Rob

Last edited:

chewie95

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
deeretrac said:
First hi.welcome to the site.

Second since nobody on "the other side" would answer you(which i cant believe).i guess i will not really answer your question but oh well.

i run a DIY bypass filter with the Amsoil filter and i dont care what you use but why are you looking for something different?

im not sure what you are trying to do. if you tell me a little of what you are wanting i will try to help you.

like i said im not really going to answer your question.

maybe no one will burn me for what i said.

Rob

Hey no problem. Well, to make it short...I ran both Amsoil and an Oilguard set up before with excellent oil analysis results. I remember seeing the GC Filter ads in the PowerStroke Registry and was wondering in the real world results/comments on the "paper towel" filter.

As for "the other side" site, is there a history which I'm not aware of?

Why would anyone burn you for your response? I don't see any reason for flames.

Thanks for your response.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94-97 guys on TDS will not generally flame anyone for that kind of stuff. It's usually the guys from upstairs that like to do that (but that's only my opinion). I'll try a search over there on it. Cheers!

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea thats what i mean patrick

do a search for my user name and the 3 or 4 page thread about a year or 2 ago is the one you want to read.

any bypass thread over there that goes against the grain is meet with BIG resistance.

most in the 94-97 forums are not bad but the wanders's are sometimes.

ok their was my rant

Rob

on edit the title is Tip for DIY-bypass oil filter and it 8 pages. sorry about that.link to long for me to post(im LAZY).http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubb...497upgrades1&Number=2321536&fpart=&PHPSESSID= ok here is the link

Last edited:

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I have read a lot of bypass filter stuff because I intend to add one someday. I have read beyond just what the guys at TDS have said too. From the tests I have read about, the paper towel filter method (really toilet paper roll) is poor. Rather than progressively filter smaller and smaller particles as the oil passes through the filter, the toilet roll will become caked on the outer surface and eventually completely impregnable. When that happens, the oil simply is forced around the filter and it does nothing. I saw a picture of a roll that had become caked on the surface; they cut it in half and the inner layers were totally clean. Apparently the larger micron particles simply hit it and plug it.

Is that what you were wanting? Welcome to the site. This is a good group and noone takes any superiority stances.

Add a sig line to tell us what you drive and what you have done to it. Or want to.

chewie95

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
the paper towel filter method (really toilet paper roll) is poor. Rather than progressively filter smaller and smaller particles as the oil passes through the filter, the toilet roll will become caked on the outer surface and eventually completely impregnable. When that happens, the oil simply is forced around the filter and it does nothing. I saw a picture of a roll that had become caked on the surface; they cut it in half and the inner layers were totally clean. Apparently the larger micron particles simply hit it and plug it.
Is that what you were wanting?
Add a sig line to tell us what you drive and what you have done to it. Or want to.
That is one of the reasons for asking, except the GC one uses a paper towel roll instead. It looked like a simple set up, which I could fab up myself if the paper towels actually do a good job of filtering.

Sig is now in place:D

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I cant imagine the result being any different with a paper towel roll vs a toilet roll. The are really the same thing when it comes down to it. I think you will run into the same result, an outer layer caked roll that isnt doing anything. The oilguard is $200 for our trucks. A lot but it works. And much cheaper than the FS2500 (by more than half). Save the money you would use on this idea and save for the oilguard. No point in wasting some even on a cheaper DIY version.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58