Gvw restrictions

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My question concerns pulling over GVW through states with restrictions- AZ, CA, CT, FL, KY, LA, NE, NM, NC,UT. How strict are these states if I'm pulling, say, a 37 foot fifth wheel that is over my GVW but the truck otherwise pulls just fine? I've seen 3/4 Fords pulling 18k gross toy haulers with no problem. Can I simply use backroads or are the cops on the lookout for that?

My truck has been upgraded way beyond the 8800 GVW capability and I don't see the need to spend the money buying a higher GVW truck.

2000 F250
8800 GVW factory rated.

Thank you for your time.

Larry

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I really dont see cops on the lookout for overloaded pickups. With that said all you have to do is run into smokey who is having a bad day and he might cite you.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
I really dont see cops on the lookout for overloaded pickups. With that said all you have to do is run into smokey who is having a bad day and he might cite you.

That's my luck, though it's my fault as much as I push it. They really need to leave recreational towers alone.

I'm shaving the badges before heading out; maybe a little stealth goes a long way?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I would just make sure that your tag is registered to tow what you tow.

I think the only trouble you would have is if you were FOR HIRE.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Regarding those states, how do they check the GVW: door jamb sticker or registration. Mine's listed at 10k so I should be good.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They really need to leave recreational towers alone.

I have to completely disagree here.

[rant]I would hazard a guess to say that recreational towers are responsible for a significant majority of the accidents on the road, especially when you consider the miles driven to accident ratio when compared with professional drivers.
[/rant]

That being said I'll step off my soap box

I know CA is door jam/VIN for GVW

Keep in mind that the 8800 is on the two truck axles, Ford does not have a GCVWR for light duty trucks. So in theory if you can keep the truck axles under 8800 (and applicable axle ratings) which is possible but not easy with that big of a trailer, then you'll be in the clear.

Also keep in mind the tire ratings some DOT cops will nail you on overloaded tires.

As a general rule you'll be fine unless you in an accident then overloaded equipment will be cause for lawsuits and liability on you along with the potential for your insurance company to deny the claim.

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you weighed your truck fully loaded? I bet you are within 1,000 lbs of your 8,800 lb gvw before you hook up to your trailer.

How much weight are you putting on the rear end of the truck? What are your tires rated for?

I know that our trucks will pull the world, but steel is steel and rubber is rubber. They all have limitations.

Ford does have GCWR's for Superduty's. My SRW F-350 is rated for 20,000 lbs GCWR. I know that my truck alone weighs 8,300 with just me in it. That leaves 11,700 lbs for a trailer. Once I have maxed out the trailer weight, I just keep an eye on tongue weight to make sure I dont go over my rear GAWR or my tire capacities.

I'm not saying that I havent pulled loads that were way too heavy but I surely havent pulled them across the country.

How did you upgrade your truck to have a GVWR above 8,800 lbs?

I'm not trying to put you down but it seems like you are towing a lot of money behind you. Why wouldnt you want to have enough truck to safely get you where you are going?

Back to your original question though. I dont think you will have any problems with law enforcement. You are a private vehicle, not for hire. If you are involved in an accident or get pulled over for a moving violation, the law could come down on you for being grossly overloaded. You will want to make sure that your vehicle is properly licensed for the weight and you may want to check on drivers license requirements for those states. You might need a CDL just because of the weight.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those weight limits are directed at commercial vehicles which is why we have to go across scales and all the other good stuff. Only time I could see any law enforcement bothering you about being overloaded is if they deem you to be a threat to public safety. If you're going down the road swaying back and forth or something like that it may attract unwanted attention.

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is it an RV that your pulling or something else ?

RV's with RV plates are exempt from commerical DOT rules .
unless its unsafe like Rover said .......

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just make sure that your tag is registered to tow what you tow.

I think the only trouble you would have is if you were FOR HIRE.

What he said, and make sure your tires are rated for having that much weight on the truck. One state you forgot is Illinois at one time they were second in the nation for writing over-weight tickets. With that being said any state you travel through can pull you over for being over-weight. I was told by a retired Illinois DOT inspector that they look at the GVW of truck and trailer and add them up and if your not over that they don't care.

BJS

Is it just the OBS that doesn't have a GCWR, because the superduties do. It's 20,000#'s from 99-03 and it goes to 22,000 in 04.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58