Ham exam....I passed!

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
So Richard...............do you have a radio picked out???

Tbar

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Actually, I don't have a rig picked out yet. I'm open to suggestions, and I am doing my first rig on a budget. I've seen a couple of examples of mobile setups that some of you have made in your trucks. I'm open to any and all suggestions! :D

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all that's holding you back from the general ticket is the code, you can master that in a few days if you have the time to commit. What do you want to do with it, you have space for antennas in an area without tight zoning ordinances, and then the budget consideration?

My thing has always been HF ragchew/skeds/SWL. If that's where you want to go with it, and having satisfied the criteria above, I'd say $750 is the minimum figure you're looking at. Another option would be doing as I have and taken 30+ years and probably $50K lifetime expense getting back to the first option.

My love is hollow state equipment first and then Kenwood transceivers for practicality. I'd suggest a TS-450S/AT and a bunch of wire in the air for a starter.

Get it figured out and I can help out with the wire-hanging in late June or July. Maybe we can get Pete to come over and advise/supervise. Good luck and 73 de N9EMZ.

BTW....Dayton Hamvention '06 happens this weekend and I'm trying to work it into my schedule. Short notice but, if you could work it into yours, you'll learn more about hamming in this one weekend than you would in a couple of years otherwise. Take care and regards.

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I am doing my first rig on a budget.

With your technicians license you will be limited to uhf & vhf. You can get single band 2meter mobile rigs from Icom or Yaesu for $100-140 to get you started. An inexpensive mag mount mobile antenna will run you $25-$50.

I suggest you join a club in your area to learn more about the hobby and be advised, depending on which area of the hobby you are interested in, you will want to step up to a better rig within a year.

Tbar

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Tbar said:
With your technicians license you will be limited to uhf & vhf. You can get single band 2meter mobile rigs from Icom or Yaesu for $100-140 to get you started. An inexpensive mag mount mobile antenna will run you $25-$50.

I suggest you join a club in your area to learn more about the hobby and be advised, depending on which area of the hobby you are interested in, you will want to step up to a better rig within a year.

Tbar

that sounds to much like the PSD mod bug, all over again, :D there goes the christmas fund :D :D

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
I've installed Morse Mania for code drill on my Mac. I just ordered the General class exam study guide from ARRL, having looked over the General class test question pool, I know MOST of the material already, but I'm not solid on all of it. As for antenna space, I have an acre of land and plenty of space to put up a tower and run a dipole.

For now, it looks like a 2 meter mobile rig is the way to go. I'm still putting a metal storage building together so I can get all the junk out the house and have space for a ham shack. The wife says she might spring for the first rig if I am nice to her :sly.

I'm also looking into EchoLink, as there is a Mac client for it as well. There are a lot of interesting aspects to this hobby that I did not even know existed. :D

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Be REAL nice to the little lady :thumbs

Look at the Yaesu FT7800 for a mobile rig. It's a 2/440 and works well with some neat features.

I need to look and see if there is a MAC software package for programming the 7800. Also if you get the chance to play with the MAC echolink please post your findings.

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbs Congrats!

I have two Icom 2720's Dual Band radios and a Icom v8000 2m rig. Like them both.

Check out R&L Electronics, they have the best prices I have found. Picked up my 2nd 2720 from them. Good service.

73's Mark
K
WOOLY
MOP
HEAD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58