Hard Start...Replaced CPS did not cure all

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
I posted about a problem a couple of days ago (truck died while driving)...Got CPS replaced and no problems. Well today around 11:00 am I went out to start my truck for the first time today...Got in the truck, WTS goes out and I turned the key...

Cranked for about 10 seconds...no start...

turn off key and wait 5 - 10 seconds.....turn key....no start.....

wait again, finally truck starts. Temperature outside was approx 90*F so I dont think its a GP/GPR issue. Batteries are just shy of a year old...Alternator and Starter are stock as far as I know. One thing I did notice when I turned the key and the GP's came on, the needle on the stock volt meter seemed to be dipped down a little further than normal.

After I got it start I was showing 14.1 volts while driving accoording to my Ford AIC.

The truck sounded like it was turning over just fine...not slow or odd sounding. I havn't ever had expirience with a starter going out but I figured if it was bad it wouldn't turn over at all...Am I mistaken?? Could this be a sensor issue???

Is it possible that my HPOP may just be getting weak?? It seems like it is gettting easier and easier to throw CELs when under accelteration (even in Econo mode on the chip).

Thanks,
Casey

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're throwing CEL's with stock injectors then you do have some HPOP problems or possibly severely leaking injector o-rings which would allow for the hp oil to drain down and you're refilling & pressurizing the rails at each cold start.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
PSDfreak said:
I haven't ever had experience with a starter going out but I figured if it was bad it wouldn't turn over at all...Am I mistaken??

When my starter started to fail I'd have to crank it a few times before it would start...cold or hot. Once the reconditioned starter was installed it fired up quicker than I can remember.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys...I am throwing CELs with the stock squirters (I do have a wildman chip) which kind of worries me...Makes me think that it might be the HPOP...If I weren't getting the CELs as easy I would look at the starter or the IPR first...Would the IPR valve being dirty cause a CEL?? I haven't had too much expirience with this part of the motor if you can't tell already...

if you're throwing CEL's with stock injectors then you do have some HPOP problems or possibly severely leaking injector o-rings which would allow for the hp oil to drain down and you're refilling & pressurizing the rails at each cold start.

What about the injector O-Rings? The injectors were replaced under warrenty about 50k miles ago with OEM Allied injectors so the rings should be in decent shape still I would assume. I am not getting any oil in the fuel bowl or difference in smoke out the tailpipe if that helps at all

I guess what I am looking for is an idea of what to start pulling apart and looking at first.

Thanks guys,
Casey

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
IPR failure should give you hard starts when warm and a surging idle when warm also.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
IPR failure should give you hard starts when warm and a surging idle when warm also.

Sounds like a starting point...How and where would I check that out? Is it on the HPOP??? When it comes to the HPO system I'm a bit of a rookie...I get the basics of how it works and what it does, just a bit shakey on the details and diagnosis part so please bare with me :sorry

Thanks!
-Casey

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
This pic shows the rear of the pump, so the IPR valve would be located on left (drivers) side of pump. Its a bit of a trick to get to the valve but it can be done with the pump in place without removing fuel filter cannister as well.

1. High Pressure Oil Pump
2. Pressure Regulator (IPR Valve)
3. Solenoid
4. Tinnermann Nut

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
To add a bit more...I drove it about 250 miles this afternoon staring a stopping a few times during the drive. Never hiccuped on start up or anything...Seems like if it is nice and warm and not sitting for a LONG time it has no problem...Thats not for sure, but so far that just what I noticed today...I'll see what it does in the morning when it has been sitting for a few hours and is dead cold.

-Casey

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14