Hard Start update

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys,im still working on my hard start problem and I have read post and read online till my brain hurts! LOL I really want to learn as much as i can about this 7.3 so i can work on it myself rather than throwing money at it.I am a Cnc Machinist/programmer by trade and was raised by a mechanic so I tend to understand mechanical things pretty well but please bear with me for I ask alot of questions and research things through. I am wanting to check my injectors also and I have read about the Buzz test, is this something I can do at home with a scanner (if so which brand) or do i have to take it to a shop? I have narrowed my hard star problem to the starter which is making some strange noises (sounds like electrical shorting out if you lay under it while someone turns it over) Thanks to everyone that helped me run this problem down!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Ok guys,im still working on my hard start problem and I have read post and read online till my brain hurts! LOL I really want to learn as much as i can about this 7.3 so i can work on it myself rather than throwing money at it.I am a Cnc Machinist/programmer by trade and was raised by a mechanic so I tend to understand mechanical things pretty well but please bear with me for I ask alot of questions and research things through. I am wanting to check my injectors also and I have read about the Buzz test, is this something I can do at home with a scanner (if so which brand) or do i have to take it to a shop? I have narrowed my hard star problem to the starter which is making some strange noises (sounds like electrical shorting out if you lay under it while someone turns it over) Thanks to everyone that helped me run this problem down!

at 190k, new injectors wouldn't hurt.. they may pass electrically (buzz test) but the pintles may be so eroded they don't atomize fuel very well.

I bought my starter new from NAPA, and it whips it over pretty good..
ps.. the top bolt is a jewel to get to on your back in the snow in -10degF weather...

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
starter problems are not too uncommon on these trucks (sadly) generally the starters just get to the point that they just don't spin fast enough to generate the heat by compression needed to get a diesel started, not like gas motors I'm used to where the starter just clicks away to say that it's failed. The older trucks are more prone to starter problems since they ran a direct drive starter, The SD trucks do run a gear reductions starter which helps but the end result is usually the same.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
X2 BJS, if the starter sounds like a electrical short, then my guess is you do. It's just inside the starter were you can't see it. Time for a starter, also check all your batt connections for corrosion/oil intrusion. And tightness as well. Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14