Hard start when cold

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the cold weather is finally here. As long as the truck is plugged in, it starts up with out a problem. But after sitting for 9 hours at work she is a pain to start. I crack it over four to five time until it starts. Today I had to get security to put the booster/jump start box on until it would start. It turns over no problems, just does not want to start. Dumps white smoke from the exhaust until it starts, then no smoke at all. Runs and drivers fine after starts. 178000+ miles on truck.

With the thread about the GPR I am wondering if this could be the culprit? Is there anyway to test the GPR to see if it is failing?

Any other ideas? Batteries are two years old with no crud on them.

Thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke is un-burnt fuel. If the Glow Plugs are the origonals.. @ 178K.. Probably time for new set of 8 Glow Plugs.. AND.. a new GPR.

When these things get Cold Soaked.. without some heat.. from either the Block Heater.. or all 8 GP's working.. You get the Hard Start & Smoke ?

Joe

lpuddlejumper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yes there is. take the big power wire off of the lead, and insulate it from contact with anything that it will arc. then take a volt-ohm meter, or test light, and turn the key on. there should be continuity between the 2 big leads, if not check the power to the smaller leads to see if you get continuity through the smaller leads(w/key off), or with volt-ohm meter set to 12volt side...don't leave it in ohms, or you'll burn the meter out. if no continuity either way the relay is bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58