hard start

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i need some help here, i bought a 02 7.3 F350 that had 190k miles o her. My problem is that when i bought it it would start right up and ran fine,now its hard to start and runs really rough for a few miles.I checked the oil level when i bought it and i have put roughly 2800 miles on it and today i checked the oil and it was a quart to a quart & half low. It doesnt leak a drop ? im used to gas burrners so i need some direction here please

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i need some help here, i bought a 02 7.3 F350 that had 190k miles o her. My problem is that when i bought it it would start right up and ran fine,now its hard to start and runs really rough for a few miles.I checked the oil level when i bought it and i have put roughly 2800 miles on it and today i checked the oil and it was a quart to a quart & half low. It doesnt leak a drop ? im used to gas burrners so i need some direction here please

Fer starters..Air and fuel filter(s) been replaced ?

Batteries in good condition ? Cables/connections good shape & clean ?

Last edited:

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Joe,
I checked the battery cables and they are good and have good connections but I have not load tested the batteries yet. I will pick up a fuel filter tomorrow and give that a try.
Thanks

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep ! after it warms up it purrrrs right along but if i cut it off , then its hard to start again. No one has said anything bout thre oil consumption, is that normal?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep ! after it warms up it purrrrs right along but if i cut it off , then its hard to start again. No one has said anything bout thre oil consumption, is that normal?

Just keep an eye on that oil consumption for awhile.. ? Cuz the 250 is new to you ?

I say that cuz.. If I put the required 15 qts in @ an oil change.. mine will eat 1 qt.. then not use any more. Nature of the Beast maybe ??

Joe

On edit. Have you checked underneath yer truck for a pre-pump, fuel filter ? (added on by the PO maybe)

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IPR o-rings are likely worn, and/or crud buildup on/in the IPR.

O-rings are around $35 from the IH dealer
IPR (with new o-rings) will be $200+

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14