Hard starting and long cranking time

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
I have owned my 2000 f-250 for about a year and a half. When i first got the truck it was easy to start in any temp over 20*F. This past winter i starting having problems. If it is not plugged in it will not start if the temp is 35*F or below. It has also had longer cranking times in 35-50* as well. I have tested the glow plug relay and it is recieving over 14V when the key is turned on. I have also tested each individual glow plug. Reading at valve cover connectors is above 1.2 for all 8 plugs. Any suggestions or other possible tests?

Diezel Dawg

vvv Real NW Truck
Reaction score
leaking injector orings?? which could cause your HPO Reservoir to drain down. with 180,000 miles on it, that could very well be the culprit. Does it smoke after it starts and stay smoking?

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
I think that it may be the orings as well. On cold days it starts with blue smoke. The blue smoke clears up withing 30-60 seconds and the truck switches to high idle. No smoke at operating temp and a little black smoke on hard acceleration. Could it be bad injectors? Will any of these problems throw a code?

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine will do the same

If it sits for a day or more and sometimes overnite I can crank it and it will fire but kill (no psi reading on the dash) the second try it will fire and just before it dies the pressure will read and the engine will stay running...I have had the HPOP low on quite a few occasions. but the dipsick will read overful.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
OK
in the TSB, they state that it is acceptable for it to take 15 seconds to fire..

first thing they have you doing is checking the oil level in the HPOP - should be 1" below the hole
if OK, check the injectors
if not, they have you checking stuff in the front cover to find out whey it's draining down

next, they have you checking the injectors, then the IDM

and then they tell you to check glow plugs..

My question would be, when it is not starting, does it make smoke? And what color is the smoke?

Last edited:

MidwestOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no smoke if it starts and dies, the second cranking it will fire and run and have white smoke for 10-15 seconds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg