Hard times for some.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
like i said everything i own is bought and payed for.i tried the credit thing.end up paying double what it was worth.im all set with that.if i cant pay cash,i dont buy it.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that folks leveraged themselves to the very Nth degree. Some have 100% loans on their homes, credit cards maxed, two or three car payments and then add an RV payment in there. We buy all this "stuff" ($50K trucks, $30K RV's) and then expect to be able to operate them for 70 or 80 dollars worth of fuel per month not taking into account that the price of fuel is not FIXED, it is a publicly traded (worldwide) commodity that goes up and goes down with market fluctuations and economic conditions.

We as Americans havent even begun to experience hard times. Max, you are a bit older and may have a few brief memories (or your parents and relatives related them first hand to you) of the great depression. Those my friends were hard times, soup lines, unfathomable unemployment, bankruptcies, stock market collapse, total economic meltdown in the US.

We dont have a clue today, not a clue.
Couln't agree more. But we may have a clue soon. Very soon....

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning on GMA...they did a segment about
some lady in atlanta...

she was in danger of foreclosure...been in the
house 35yrs (makes me wonder why the house
wasnt already paid for)

apparently at some point she obtained a loan <even
though she was & STILL IS unemployed>

they were BLAMING the BANK...i wanted to ask
1) why she took a loan knowing she couldnt pay it back and
2) why the house wasnt paid OFF !

they were trying to say the loan papers wer filled out
improperly (one page said she was unemployed and another
page claimed she had 3k dollars a month income)

i mean c'mon people have some damm self restraint &
accountablity...no one FORCED her to sign the contract or
take the loan !

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to have most of my stuff paid off, just the mortgage and fairly low truck payment. Sure fuel is a big issue, but I car pool to work and don't drive anywhere unless I have to and can combine errands. I understand where people are screwed from vari-rate mortgages and over drawn on credit cards(fortunately I have a very smart bookkeeper/wife). My job is booming, more work than I've seen in the last ten years(with no foreseeable end in site). :dizzy

We've always lived well with in our means, and never worried about that new fancy home or new truck. We don't worry about "keeping up with the Joneses".

Sure I have my toys, but nothing I couldn't do with out.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning on GMA...they did a segment about
some lady in atlanta...

she was in danger of foreclosure...been in the
house 35yrs (makes me wonder why the house
wasnt already paid for)

apparently at some point she obtained a loan <even
though she was & STILL IS unemployed>

they were BLAMING the BANK...i wanted to ask
1) why she took a loan knowing she couldnt pay it back and
2) why the house wasnt paid OFF !

they were trying to say the loan papers wer filled out
improperly (one page said she was unemployed and another
page claimed she had 3k dollars a month income)

i mean c'mon people have some damm self restraint &
accountablity...no one FORCED her to sign the contract or
take the loan !

Saw that piece on GMA too BP. Thought the very same thing.

Some lending institutions have been VERY unscrupulous in the way they have financed some high dollar items, I'll agree with that. But, somewhere in the "Deal", your own >Personal Responcibilty< HAS TO come into the "Deal".

If the "Deal" it sounds to good to be true.. Back Out.

Just somemore Ol' Guy speak, I guess..:dunno

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
my payments are down to just $50 per week for the snap-on guy, i owe him around $1000. everything else is payed for, unfortunatly i havent bought a house yet so that will be a big monthly payment in the near future. vehicles are all payed for and i dont plan on getting any others that i cant pay for outright! so if anyone is selling a cheap beater motorcycle im interested (to beat the diesel prices :) )

there are still "hooverville" shacks that can be seen in New Haven, CT if you look in the right places. i wasnt even thought of during the depression, but im scared poopless of it none the less.

AlaskanSuperduty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck payment is hovering around $640 a month, and that's with a free oil changes and at 0%. My company pays for it, as well as the diesel. I just bought my wife an '06 Explorer, that's runnin' around $375/month. I've also got a '94 Bronco that's paid for, as well as a '98 Explorer, my wife's old one, that's paid off, too, just trying to sell it. I was lucky to build my own home before the stock market headed south in 2002, locked into a really good interest rate and only borrowed half of the apprasied value to build it.

After reading some of the reply's to this thread, I'm gettin' a little nervous. I'm only 34, definitely not old enough to remember the old times, I've heard stories from my grandparents about the depression, never though it could happen again. I've been watching the news and somewhat keeping up on current events. The latest I've heard is that last year, Americans in general spent more than they earned. Apparently, that hasn't happened since the Great Depression. I'm worried now, but I'm really worried as to what my two daughters are in for when they go out on their own a decade or two from now.

Last edited:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
As far as the Great Depression, I learned that my great grandparents had a huge farm in Novi/Farmington, MI, but lost it all from the depression. I cannot believe the size of the lad they had. It is all built up now, but it was about 3 X 10 miles in width and length. I am looking at opening another branch of business in another state that has a growing and better economy than Michigan. The housing industry went south everywhere, but not like it did in Michigan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58