Question Hard to start & rough ideling when cold.

DieselPower

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I have a 2006 F350. I bought this truck a couple of month ago. When the truck is cold (being off few hours) it it hard to start the engine. The starter has to turn for about 5 seconds before the truck starts. After starting it runs rough and makes lots of noise until the engine warms up. This usually takes several minutes before it starts to run smooth. If I turn the key several times (4 times) before crancking the engine it appears to start easier and run a little smoother but still too loud and running rough.

any idea as what might be the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

atk

Reaction score
try switching to 5w-40 synthetic oil. has the truck been reflashed at the dealer with the latest program, it will help with cold weather start-ups....

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reflash makes a BIG difference- How cold is it out? - Are you plugging it in?

DieselPower

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I have changed the oil and used Synthetic Rotella. I also like to mention that I flushed the engine before changing the oil. It is still hard to start (engine has to turn over for 3-4 seconds) but after it starts, it runs much smooter. I have also added Slick-50 to the oil. I believe that has helped as well. The temprature has been between 20-50 F. I still feel the the engine takes too long to crank. I am used to one little cranck and the engine coming on. I will take it to the shop for re-flashing one of these days. By the way, my gas milage is a little less that 14 in the city. Is that right for this size truck?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
6.0 engines DO take more cranking time to catch. Fact of life. They have to build High Pressure for the injectors to fire (500 PSI min).

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reflash makes a BIG difference- How cold is it out? - Are you plugging it in?

6.0 engines DO take more cranking time to catch. Fact of life. They have to build High Pressure for the injectors to fire (500 PSI min).

Dave

3 to 5 seconds of cranking is Normal, for the reasons mentioned.

And.. it's a Diesel. It's The Nature Of The Beast, when they're Coold or Coool.

walter.dreyer

Flashover
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 2003 6.0, only now it won't start. 2 mornings in a row, hard to start, runs very rough, low power. But once warmed up, she ran fine. Now she cranks, and tries to catch but can't. Any ideas?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Have the codes pulled, it may be your FICM. Mine did this and I replaced the FICM and all good now. Costly though, around $800.

Dave

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 2003 6.0, only now it won't start. 2 mornings in a row, hard to start, runs very rough, low power. But once warmed up, she ran fine. Now she cranks, and tries to catch but can't. Any ideas?

Been going through the same issues. If I dont plug in, just like you are describing, plugged in, no problems. Only codes on mine are the P006A and the P0401.

Since I have change the oil to Rotella synthetic 5w40 (last Saturday), changed fuel filters (last Sunday), I use diesel clean regularly, and today, I cleaned my EGR Valve, (and yep, it was clogged).

Still has not seemed to make a difference.

Why no other code are showing up, is very mind boggling. :dunno

Barrett

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Those codes relate to the EGR and not the FICM. I had a couple of codes that referenced #1,3,5,7 and #2,4,6,8 being circuits low. That was the clue for the FICM. Don't know Barrett.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14