Question hard to start

drmjf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree about the staring fluid. This works better. Use WD-40. It light easily and is an oil based product. It also works for gas motors.:thumbs.gif

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
Yes, pressure shows normal and raises up after turning the key on and it begins to crank. One thing I have noticed is it seems to crank faster than normal. Last night I remembered that when the dealer was working on it the tech pointed out a spliced connection on my IPR. Looked like someone had used a chip on it with a controller. Anyway he made a point of telling me he "fixed" the connection, I am wondering if he fixed it with a butt connector covered in black tape and it has come loose. I am going to wiggle it this morning to see what happens.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhere there is a connection that is not good if all of the pieces & parts are new. I just went tracking down a similar problem on my truck. For me it ended up being that I had thin layer of dark gunk between the + post on the DS battery and it was such that the standard steel battery cable & post brushes would not get it off, I had to use the sanding drum on my dremel tool. I was in the same place with newer, starter, alternator, batteries, glow plugs, gpr, UVC. So I was left with battery cables as the most likely alternative.

IPR o-ring problems usually show up as hard hot starting because the oil is thinner. I would suggest double checking your glow plugs by the resistance testing through the UVC harness & VC gasket, you may find a problem with the gasket itself.

Do a voltage drop test when you are starting the engine, and/or test the amperage draw indicating a potential problem with the newer starter.

Also check voltage drop across each connection with a digital multimeter Here is a video explaining how to do this... you will need to isolate each battery in this process to get clean readings on our trucks.

TurboDsl8

SDD Member
Reaction score
I also this fall had starting problems. Hard to start, checked battery connection and cable was green and corroded .It got so hot trying to turn over that it acually melted the battery connector and looked like melted solder on the top off the battery.Disassembled cleaned cable really really good with power wire brush, new connector and it has been fine ever since.

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine too just became hard to start. Been running great but now it got cold and I had to use starter fluid to get it to fire. Funny thing is it did it to me at the gas station after I had been driving it an hour or more. Shut it off, fully warm fill the tank and then it would not fire. I did not see any smoke after the starter fluid was used. Hope it's not my injectors.

warm start problems in 6l's are almost always caused by a leak in the hp oil system. i was having same problem, the cause was a leaking swivel fitting on the hpop high press oil pump. starts cold, as the oil is thicker. injectors need 500 psi oil to fire them. when there is a leak, the injectors do not fire. that is why it starts with ether!!!!! when engine is running, the hpop supplies sufficient oil to overcome the leak. ford has an udpated hpop fitting that is a solid T with o ring face seal. this should fix the problem. dont use ether no more!!!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14