Has anyone seen this?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this on another Forum

Since this pertains to the 6.4L PSD...

Dear SEMA Member:

We have recently learned that CARB and EPA are planning significant enforcement action against companies that make, distribute or install tuning products for late-model (2007 MY and newer) diesel trucks that are equipped with diesel particulate filters (DPF) if such tuning products offer any of the following features: (1) the ability to re-tune/re-program the truck to operate while the DPF is removed; (2) the ability to turn off urea (exhaust fluid) injection; and/or (3) the ability to defeat, disable or turn off any other required emissions control system on a late-model diesel truck. Products with these features cannot be legally sold for on-highway usage. If you make, sell or install products with these features and they are sold strictly for legal racing use you must be able to make assurances to these regulatory agencies that these products are NOT being used on the street on registered vehicles. If you cannot make those assurances we encourage you to carefully consider your business practices so as to avoid possible penalties.

SEMA is very interested in protecting you and your future and we hope you’ll find this information valuable. If you have any questions please contact Jim McFarland, Consultant for SEMA, regarding compliance with these regulatory agencies.

Sincerely

John Russell Deane, III
SEMA General Counsel

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard about this the other week, CARB and EPA need to tread lighty. They are going after the wrong people. They need to go after the oil companies and there cheep/crappy diesel fuel production. If they had really good fuel these trucks would run cleaner and get better fuel mileage and this problem would fix it's self.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I don't think it would stand up in court if the industry tried to challenge it.
BUT...
I don't think the industry will challenge it much.

Hot-rodders have been disabling emission systems and components since 1968.
I hardly see where this is any different.

On the other hand, diesel pickups blowing humongous clouds of black smoke have become the new "ricers" that everyone hates.

I think it's time we encouraged the tuners to decrease the smoke their products generate.
I'm also a member at PSN and PSA, and there are active movements over there now to do exactly that.
Smoke opacity will be measured at at least one live tuning session/dyno day I know of coming up, and a prize given to both the owner and the tuner of the vehicle that produces the most horsepower with the least amount of smoke.

Matt at Gearhead Automotive had this to say:
PowerStrokeArmy
Diesel Trucks Boo'd At SEMA Show
Heard it with my own ears. As the parade of cars were leaving the show and doing burnouts (and getting cheers) the diesel trucks blowing smoke got negative feedback. Maybe they don't understand, but the crowd didn't like it. Just thought I would share. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's almost as bad as the government wanting to increase the amount of ethanol in gasoline when the current E-10 mixture is hurting mileage now.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
nothing worse for use that have oil burners is the knuckleheads showboating blowing huge clouds of black smoke at each gearshift and take off...
here its mostly cummins powered pickups with the 55 gallon drum tailpipe extension

i love cool pipes and power...but some go over board the new fast and furious crowds are now fast and smooookiiiieeeee crowds

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
nothing worse for use that have oil burners is the knuckleheads showboating blowing huge clouds of black smoke at each gearshift and take off...
here its mostly cummins powered pickups with the 55 gallon drum tailpipe extension

i love cool pipes and power...but some go over board the new fast and furious crowds are now fast and smooookiiiieeeee crowds

with the tow mirrors flipped up so the truck looks like a mechanical "Great Cornholio"

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jus' more of the [Out Of Control] EPA/CARB stuff.

Kinda related ?

Here in CENCAL.. we have "No Burn Days"... day by day. On certain days, we Can, or Can't have Fires in a Fireplace, or Wood Stove.. No Matter the Temps.. County by County... as determined by a local "Air Quality" Guru gal.

Sooo, that means: Say.. If you live on the North side of a County line/road.. maybe you Can have a fire. If you live on the South side.. maybe you Can't.

The prevailing winds/breezes are from the NW... or SE.

We need to check, day by day.. on the News @ 5:00 to see if we can "Burn" tomorrow.. or not.. County by County.

Makes alota sense don't it ?? :(:rant:dunno

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jus' more of the [Out Of Control] EPA/CARB stuff.

Kinda related ?

Here in CENCAL.. we have "No Burn Days"... day by day. On certain days, we Can, or Can't have Fires in a Fireplace, or Wood Stove.. No Matter the Temps.. County by County... as determined by a local "Air Quality" Guru gal.

Sooo, that means: Say.. If you live on the North side of a County line/road.. maybe you Can have a fire. If you live on the South side.. maybe you Can't.

The prevailing winds/breezes are from the NW... or SE.

We need to check, day by day.. on the News @ 5:00 to see if we can "Burn" tomorrow.. or not.. County by County.

Makes alota sense don't it ?? :(:rant:dunno

Thats why cali is called the "land of fruits and nuts"...LOL :innocent

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So glad the Good Lord took me out of CA. when He did. So what do you have to
do now Joe, have a home in two counties, so you can stay warm.
The people who make these laws, where do they come from.
Doug

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58