Has anyone tried this?

jguzman75

McAllen, Texas
Reaction score
POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners
I have done the upper oil change and other that cleaner oil there isn't a difference. I believe that the injectors will probably last longer as well as the entire engine. On his website there is something about drilling out a plug on the head that will allow more fuel into the injectors. Has anyone else done this?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I am of the opinion that if you are actually changing your oil as frequently as you should then there is no need to do the "top end oil change" I don't remember if he has you drain the high pressure oil rails or not and if you do then: What he fails to tell you is that in doing this you are introducing air into the high pressure oil system and air in a hydraulic system can and will cause excessive wear so while it does change the oil in the system you are creating wear in other locations until the air is worked out of the system.

If you are just changing the oil in the HP reservoir then great, it would be beneficial if you have very dirty oil in the truck because the oil was not changed. The reservoir & oil rails hold around 2.5 quarts (based on my injector replacement experience) when diluted in the 4 gallons of new oil this is not a significant portion for oil that is not filthy.

Keep in mind that this oil change is something that the 500k trucks he keeps referring to have never received. I'll stick with the regular oil drain & filter change.

The fuel fitting on the head that he is referring to is not going to be a great restriction until you are running very high horsepower with large volume injectors. A bit of quick math for you based on stage one injectors (160CC)

But first a quick metric system refesher

mL - milliliter
CC - Cubic Centimeter
µL - microliter
1 mL = 1 CC
1 mL = 1000 µL

160cc (milliliter) injectors refer to the average volume shot from a single injector in 1000 shots at maximum flow. This can also be stated as an injector that will shoot 160 cubic millimeters or Microliters of fuel.

ok given that you are at WOT turning the engine at redline of 3500 RPM the each injector will be firing 1750 times/min

1750 X 4 X 160 = 1,120,000 microliters of fuel per minute needed in each head (this is why the 4 injectors)

1,120,000 µl = 1120 mL/min

To convert this to a number that is a bit more common numbers the fuel required is 12oz (coke can) every 19 seconds to each head. The fuel is under 40-60 psi as it goes through the "restriction" which without doing the fluid dynamics calculations the existing 1/8" diameter holes (4 of them) I will say that there is plenty of flow in stock configuration, not to mention the impact of a 1/4" hole on structural integrity of the bolt that is not much larger.

jguzman75

McAllen, Texas
Reaction score
Thanks for that VERY detailed explaination professor. ;tu Since I am not running huge horsepower I think I will stick to just running it stock.
As for the oil change I did exactly like he did just taking the old oil out of the HPOP, running it for a bit and repeating until I began to run clearer. I did add that Prolong stuff but after my next oil change I will probably not do it again. I haven't seen any increase in mileage and when the engine warms up it doesnt sound the same as before.

ferdtucks

sean
Reaction score
what about the fuel filter mod he showed where you take those pieces out of the fuel filter area....

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the sizes of the components in the fuel bowl. I would not worry about any of the modifications other than possibly the tank mods but then you run the risk of getting crap in your fuel pump and killing it, as he said don't do this unless you know the quality of the supply of fuel you are using. While we like to say that the station that we use on a regular basis has good quality fuel and yadda yadda yadda, you don't know if they are actually using filters, or if a bypass is in the filter or the delivery driver didn't drain the water out of the pit before filling the tank or you get the picture. Unless you own your own tank and fill your truck exclusively with it then there is a potential for getting garbage in your tank.

Once you get it in your tank it is a matter of time before it makes it to the pickup which if unprotected will suck up dirt and move it to your fuel pump. but it will be caught by the filter before damaging your injectors.

The stock SD fuel system all restrictions present will provide more fuel than is needed by a stock or chipped truck with stock injectors. After injectors is the time to start evaluating the flow restrictions in the fuel system. Due to the deadhead system of the SD fuel system people tend to upgrade to a regulated return setup at a minimum (which can be done with the stock pump & filter bowl and still get plenty of fuel) or eliminate the fuel bowl as a unit all together.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58