Has anyone

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone with a stock 2004-2006 PSD pulled a 30 foot or more trailer or 5th wheel up a prolonged grade and also had an egt gauge and noticed what the highest temperature was? We will be going up that very steep and long grade coming into Albuquerque New Mexico this next spring. With my older 7.3 diesel, I would put the pedal to the floor until the rpm fell to 2000, then shift down a gear, but I do not know if the 6.0 will be able to handle that abuse.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
maxtor, i have pulled my 36 foot deck 2 car hauler (loaded & weighing in around 20 to 24k) up 6 & 7 % grades that were anywhere from 1 mile to 5 or 6 miles, and my temps would get around 1200 at the highest and would be going at about 60mph.

i would just let off the pedal for a second to let it grab a lower gear and the temps would go down about 100 and could still maintain 55 mph with no problem. would continue to acc. upto 60 again and the temps would stay below 1200 easy.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAXTOR,
I KNOW that grade !!!
Made a few trips out to the Grand Canyon from DFW and went through there - once in our old Class C Dodge 318 based motorhome that got down to 15 mph under FULL throttle and twice in the 6-oh Ex's....

Wanna guess which one held the cruise controlled speed without an issue ? :)

Personal opinion, but I did have tuners both times in the Ex's and it was no problem !!!

Take the time to go to Sandia Peak and ride the lift up to the observation area @ the top !!!
STUNNING !!!!!!!!!!
www.sandiapeak.com/

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for all the info... We will be traveling from 5 months to 9 months, so we can spend as much time as needed to see as much as possible.

BigredF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Been up and down with 31 ft Fifthwheel. Just punch the magic tow/haul button and go. No problem.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
pulling our 38 footer a climb of 600 feet in a 6% grade i can hit 30 pounds and only 1300 egts i let her pick the gear in towhaul and just drive.
its absolutley night and day different from the 7.3

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also just hit the tow haul and let it pick the gear but at 1300 egts I back out of it because a 6.0 don't need to go over 1300. I have seen 1300 on it twice before I backed out of it. Love the way it tows.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tow haul

Since I have a 6 spd manual, I do not have tow haul. I am going to see if dealer will install a pyro gauge so that it does not void my warrentee.

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
Maxtor said:
Has anyone with a stock 2004-2006 PSD pulled a 30 foot or more trailer or 5th wheel up a prolonged grade and also had an egt gauge and noticed what the highest temperature was? We will be going up that very steep and long grade coming into Albuquerque New Mexico this next spring. With my older 7.3 diesel, I would put the pedal to the floor until the rpm fell to 2000, then shift down a gear, but I do not know if the 6.0 will be able to handle that abuse.
you dont know if the 6.0 can handle what you put the 7.3 through ???
i dont understand the question. the 6.0 is a much better engine and makes more power. i wouldn't think twice to put a bigger load on the 6.0, i'd be more worried about the 7.3 taking a crap on you.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I mean is that with the 7.3 I would have the pedal to the floor going up a hill pulling a heavy load, and when the rpm came down to below 2000 rpm, I would down shift, and still keep the pedal to the floor, and when the rpms droped down to 2000 again I would down shift again. This is very hard on a turbo engine, but the 7.3 held together. I did not know what the egt's were, but they must have been very high. The 7.3 is a 1993 IDI engine which has very little horsepower, and if you did not keep the pedal to the floor, you might go backwards. With the 2006 PSD 6.0 engine, I would not want to abuse it as much. Maybe 3/4 throttle until the rpm's came down to 2000 and then down shift.
I talked to a guy at DPPI who was very nice and helpful. He suggested a pyro gauge, of which I will get. That should end the potential problem.
I called Ford and they said as long as the pyro senser is installed after the turbo on the down pipe, it would not void the warrentee. If I installed it before the turbo, and the turbo went out, I would be buying a new turbo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14