Hate to say it, but coolant loss issue

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 Stroke has been a great truck for me...I bought it new almost 7 years and just over 70k miles ago. I have never had any issues and it only went to the dealer once for the new degas bottle decal.

The first thing about my truck that I found odd was with the coolant filter. I had read about all of the casting junk and goop that had been captured in the filter...mine didn't have that. I am on my fourth or fifth coolant filter and I never had the nastyness like I had seen pics of before.

Anyway, a few months ago I noticed I was low on coolant. Actually, I noticed the smell of coolant for a little while before hand...thinking it was the wifes Jeep...only to realize it was my truck.

I did locate two small leaks that had developed in my coolant filter lines. I took care of them and hoped that I had it done...wrong.

I filled it with water until I could check it out and try to determine where it was coming from. To start off, there is on occasion some chalky remants of coolant overflow on the degas bottle.

I downloaded the liveload and piggybacked the laptop to the ECM to check for the coolant tempurature readings for the EGR and the EOC and they were within 10* of each other even when romping it.

Next, I made up a pressure guage for the coolant system as I had seen online somewhere. A hose Teed into the coolant overflow tube between the degas bottle and the radiator. I turned the ball valve for the coolant filter off and connected it in and ran the truck again. It did very closely approach 16 psi several times, but I did not see it exceed it...even on my highest HP tune.

So, at that point I had thought (hoped) that the truck was fine. I flushed the coolant system out and went to the Peak brand ELC. I rinsed everything down good and tried again but I still have a coolant smell coming from the truck.

At this point, I thought that the cap for the degas bottle had went south, so I replaced it. On the way in to town that day, ECM returned to stock programming, mild weather, and driving the truck easy, it blew alot of coolant out the degas bottle. So, I figured I was on the right track...but the new cap didn't fix it either.

Obviously, it's not a massive leak, except for when she decides to blow off. Unfortunatly, I can not quantify that loss. Coolant level remains up where it should be and I at least have not yet seen another leak. I have also not noticed any white smoke or different smells coming from the tail pipe since before this started...and the oil level is not moving.

For what it's worth, at this point I am leaning toward head gaskets still. I know there is still the possibility of warped or cracked heads, but until that point I don't know.

Anyone have any other tests, thoughts, or suggestions that I can do for her before I start buying parts to do a headstud/EGR delete?

I know that if I do start to tear down, it is getting worked over for all of the know weak spots. That is the good part. I just don't want to drop the $ if I don't need to because I missed something.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can confirm exhaust gasses in the coolant at a good radiator shop or Ford shop. This will confirm the head gasket leaks. Good Luck ;tu

Dave :)

pappy42

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention what your ECT/EOT deltas were after the flush.

You can use coolant test strips to test for combustion/exhaust by products in the coolant.

You can also pull the EGR valve and check to see if it appears to be wet or dry crud on it. I'm told that if it is wet; it's an indication of an EGR cooler failure.

Go slowly with your diagnosis and maybe save yourself some money.

BTW, your degas bottle cap is designed to release at 16psi.

mastrkee

Jack leg mechanic
Reaction score
I'm with pappy on this one. you won't get more than 16 psi with the stock degas cap on the system. and looking in the egr valve will be the place to start. IMO

pappy42

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Try parking the truck nose down, pull the EGR valve and looking for coolant in the intake. That's how you confirm a failed EGR cooler.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 4 sets of head gasket on my 6.0 two thing I found out. Start the truck drive it around then look at the degas bottle and see if there is bubbles coming up with the motor running. If so there is a good chance the Head Gaskets are bad or in the case of my truck a crack in one of the cyl. about a inch down below the deck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14